XXIX. The Piece of the Sun's Swords

Breannei knew that she was in trouble.

'Evelyne will hate me for this...but I do not know where else to go. If I do not get this handled, then it will be my head delivered to that Sídhe.'

Evelyne frowned with confusion as she regarded Maximillian's Consort. Breannei wasn't supposed to be wondering about, nor did Evelyne summon her.

"Greetings to you, Grandmatron," Breannei said, curtsying.

"What do you want, Breannei?" Evelyne barked, crossing her hands over her sewing. "You know that you're not supposed to be just walking around."

"I...I require your help, Grandmatron," Breannei stammered.

Evelyne arched an eyebrow and waved away her servants, leaving the two alone. "And what, are you in need help of?"

Breannei took a deep breath. "A concubine has been tossed into the dungeons. If she speaks under torture, then I will lose my head."

"And why would you lose your head?" Evelyne asked. "This doesn't have anything to do with the attack on the Sídhe Princess, does it?"

Breannei bit her lip. "If it does...will you help me?"

Evelyne sighed. "I knew you were the one behind it. No one with a brain would have such sloppy work done. No, I don't believe I will help you, Breannei."

Breannei dropped to her knees and grabbed the edge of Evelyne's dress, hot tears pouring down the Consort's cheeks. "If you do not help me, the Emperor will have my head! Please, for the sake of your great-grandchild!"

Evelyne bounced her foot, pretending to think. "I suppose if I do not help you, then my grandson will question me. After all, I gave you to him."

Breannei's face lit up. "You will?"

"Yes," Evelyne said before her face grew icy and dark. "But know this. If you -ever-, do something without my knowledge or approval again, I will hand to you my grandson, myself."

Breannei cowered and kissed the edge of Evelyne's dress again. "I understand. I swear that I'll never do it again."

Bowing low, the Consort backed out of the room.

Evelyne tapped the side of her chair, and one of her handmaidens hurried in.

"Yes, Your Highness?" the Handmaiden said, bowing.

"There is a mess, that needs cleaning up. You know what to do," Evelyne commanded. "Oh, and before I forget, Breannei needs to be taught a lesson in disrespect."

The Handmaiden nodded and went to a chest nearby, taking out a small bottle. "It will be done, My Lady."

Later that evening, when a guard went to check on the concubine in the dungeon, he found her hanging body. Elsewhere, two lifeless forms were tossed into the River Blyne.

Breannei's secret forever silenced.

When the news spread among the harem the next couple of days, Zilyana was not pleased.

"I'm telling you, she did it," Zilyana whispered to Fiyona as she broke her fast with the other women.

Fiyona frowned. "Well, all proof that she might have done it, is gone. You should forget it."

"Never," Zilyana hissed.

The Sídhe pushed away her food and rose to her feet. After she curtsied to the women in the Imperial Family, she left the room, needing to think. However, no sooner had Zilyana turned a corner did she run into Breannei.