V. By the Will of the Council

High Queen Selussa nodded for her daughter to take her seat next to her, a small throne having already been called. The Fyreblood Sídhe looked at her heir and legacy, the person who would lead their people when she was old and gone.

'She looks so much like me... but has the temperate of her fallen father...'

"I was surprised that you wished me to be here," Zilyana said as she took her seat.

Selussa arched an eyebrow. "Why would I not want you here? Sitting on council meetings is your right."

"You just never asked me before. So, I couldn't help but wonder why now."

Selussa took a deep breath to hold back her temper. 'Always the sharp-tongued... she is her father's daughter.'

"I called you here because of this," Selussa said as she gestured to a servant.

A Skyblood Sídhe servant girl approached, holding a large, covered platter and placed it on the council table. She pulled the covering back, revealing the head and hands of a human.

Zilyana's jaw dropped, her hand covering her mouth as she held back the rising feel of bile. "Where... where did you find it?"

"Patrol found it, near the border," Selussa replied. "According to the guards there, the humans were with others, and they were carrying bags of our fruit. This one hung back to let the others escape."

"Humans don't normally this deep into our lands," Zilyana said, nodding for the Servant girl to cover the head back. "Why now?"

"We believe it's from a recent crowning of a new emperor," one of the Elders replied. "According to our spies, the Paefon Empire has a new ruler."

Selussa nodded. "We don't know his name or what he looks like, but from what we do know, is that he's quite young and inexperienced."

"Then that's good for us, right?" Zilyana asked. "He'll be smart enough to leave us alone?"

"Is that what you think? That by killing this one man, who for reasons we still don't know snuck onto our land, we're safe?"

Zilyana lowered her eyes. "I..."

Selussa held up her hand for silence. "Use the brain that you have to think over this. Our closest neighbor in the human kingdoms has an inexperienced ruler. Who do you think benefits the most from this, the humans or us?"

The Council was silent as they looked to their High Princess, knowing better than to speak.

"It... has an equal benefit to both sides?" Zilyana said slowly. "For the human kingdoms...they will try and influence this new emperor to their whim. Which... opens up a door for us to better guard the border?"

Selussa nodded. "Well done, my child. Well done. Some, what would be the correct next step?"

"We give orders to our spies to watch this new emperor closer. At the same time, we thicken security at the border. The humans might become bold and act out."

Selussa turned to the Council. "Did you hear her? What say you?"

"The High Princess is wise beyond her years, your Highness," the Wayveblood Elder commented.

The Earthblood Elder nodded. "Agreed. As my people are the ones nearest to the border, I shall tell our warriors to be vigilant."

"Good," Selussa said. "Very good. We will send it back to the border and have it placed on the wall for our friend here. Let the human's quake in their boots as another of their comrades join the world of the dead."

The Servant bowed and took the head back, going to do as commanded. Selussa stood to her feet, signaling the end of the meeting, the Elder and her daughter copying her.