XVIII. What you want, you can not have

It quickly became apparent to Zilyana that there were two factions in the imperial harem.

Some supposed Maximilian's grandmother Evelyne, and those that supported his mother, Marleina. Evelyne, the infernal woman who kidnapped the young princess, was the real power behind the throne. Zilyana listened to Fiyona tell her stories of how Evelyne ruled from almost the moment she stepped foot in the harem over 50 years ago. Marleina was given to Maximilian's father, the deceased Emperor Auster, by Evelyne, but they never truly got along.

"Rumor is that Evelyne gave Maximilian, Breannei too," Fiyona whispered one night as she brushed Zilyana's hair. "That is why the Imperial Matron can not stand her."

"And woman called Chrysha?" Zilyana asked. "Who she?"

"The mother to the Emperor's only living brother," Fiyona explained. "She also was the mother to his older brother, but it was rumored she dabbled with dark magik to try and get him on the throne. Emperor Auster found out and ordered his execution."

Zilyana's eyes widened in shock. "Humans...kill brother, son, so freely?"

Fiyona's clouded eyes grew sad. "Not all of us, just the Imperial family. They do it to make a singular line of succession and to prevent civil wars. Before the founding a 1000-years-ago, there was non-stop wars. Now, we live in peace."

"Upon throne of blood," Zilyana whispered.

The Sídhe looked at her hands, unable to stop them from trembling.

'If I fulfill my desires with Maximilian, there is a chance that I might carry his child. If it is a boy, will I be forced to live in fear that Jardan, his firstborn, will kill him?'

"Why Maximilian no kill Daris?" Zilyana asked. "Young brother?"

"The emperor said he wanted to stop the shedding of innocent blood," Fiyona replied. "Although, it is believed that little Daris lives because Jardan is still young himself. If he died, then the emperor would be without an heir."

Zilyana nodded, letting this soak in. "In harem, it normal for many women to come with child? Have babies, yet boys killed at new emperor's whim?"

"The empire needs an abundance of heirs. That's why no emperor has ever married. There's no reason for it."

Zilyana frowned. "Marriage no just for making babies. Marriage love."

"Do Sídhe marry?"

"Oh, yes. Weddings are holidays. We mate for life, and every five years have new wedding to celebrate."

Fiyona smiled. "It sounds amazing. I wonder what life would be like if I were a Sídhe."

"Lot more fun," Zilyana giggled. "Yes, we have conflict, but we know cost and will no fight on purpose. War meaningless."

Fiyona chuckled and finished brushing her hair. She ran her fingers over Zilyana's silky coils, feeling her work and nodding with satisfaction. "All right, you're ready to go to the emperor."

Zilyana did not know why her friend saying that made heat rush into her cheeks. It sounds so...provocative, when all the young Sídhe was doing was having dinner with him. Standing to her feet, Zilyana looked over her clothes, smoothing down her dress and fixing her silk sleeves.

'Wait, what am I doing? All I'm doing is going to eat dinner with him. That's all...'

It was a new thing that Maximilian wanted, in which he called Zilyana to dine with him either for breakfast or dinner, and they'd talk about her people.

Fiyona cleared her throat, smirking in her private way. "Are you ready to go, or do you need a couple more moments alone with yourself?"

"You want a pillow in face again?"