XL. A New Battlefield

Fresh sunlight flowed through the open windows, bathing the small forms before with its refreshing rays. Little Nephinae and her twin brother Virion gurgles and kicked their chunky legs, giggling as they tries to grab the fat sunbeams with their tiny hands. The two lay within the joined, golden cradle, a gift from their grandmother, the great Sídhe High Queen, Selussa. She was supposed to be arriving any day now, not only to meet her grandchildren but also to see the daughter she lost oh so long ago.

High Princess Zilyana lay upon the window seat next to her children, soaking in the warm rays while she watched them enjoy their morning.

Almost a year and a half ago she was taken from her people, stolen, and brought to the Paefon Empire as a slave. The reason was to be a 'gift' to the newly crowned Emperor, in of this was another life, Zilyana would have murdered the man. After all, the young Sídhe had been taught since birth that humans were nothing more than monsters.

But she was wrong.

Maximilian was the most loving man, and after she accepted him into her heart and bed, their love bore fruit.

Now, not only was the Sídhe a High Princess, but also a Consort to the Emperor. This position gave her status in this empire.

Of course, there was a downside to this.

Life here was...complicated, to say the least. Maximilian already had a High Consort, the highest-ranking woman in his harem besides that of his mother and grandmother. This High Consort - Breannei - already had his son, but he was the kindest little boy. His mother, on the other hand, was not; but Zilyana could handle the likes of her.

All Sídhe wanted in life, right now, was the enjoy it with her lover and her children.

KNOCK!

KNOCK!

KNOCK!

Zilyana looked up at the sound of the sharp raps, the double doors of her champers opening as the herald shouted at the top of his lungs, "Make way! Presenting His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Maximilian!"

A smile split her face as rose from the spot that she lay, and gracefully slid into a half-curtsy. Maximilian's light-blue eyes swept across the elaborate rooms before falling upon the love of his life. He spread his arms wide as he crossed the space, sweeping Zilyana up into his embrace and holding her close.

"Fy brenhines haul," Maximilian said, as he tilted Zilyana up by the chin.

His mouth lowered onto hers, warm lips greeting each other as Zilyana softly moaned.

"Your High Sídhe is getting better, my love," the Princess whispered to him. "Although your accent is terrible."

Maximilian rolled his eyes with a groan. "I've only been learning it for the past six months. Give me a little bit, of a break, Beloved."

Zilyana chuckled and kissed his cheek, Maximilian sighing at her touch as he held onto her hips. His large hands slowly slid down her body, the lush frame that he craved yet dared not touch... for now. The two hadn't lain with each other since the birth of their children, as per the customs of the Kirk. Yet, that did not mean temptation was not there... and Maximilian's hand with oils could only do so much.

A hiccup and giggle in the bed broke the Emperor from his naughty thoughts, and he turned his head to look at the twins that lay within the cradle. Little Nephinae smiled up at him, her chubby hands reaching up for him as she gurgled and smiled widely.

Maximilian obeyed her clear wishes. Letting got of Zilyana, he turned to the cradle and reached inside, carefully picking up his daughter and making sure to support her head as he held her in his arms.

"She's gotten so big," he said. "I just saw her yesterday, and she looks like she's doubled in size."

"That is what you call, a healthy baby," Zilyana chuckled, tickling her daughter under her chin. "All she does is eat, sleep, and then eat some more while her brother sleeps."

"Are they both sleeping all night?" Maximilian asked, looking to Virion.

Zilyana nodded. "They officially began a couple of days ago. Although, Viri is more likely to do it. Neph just wants to play as much as she can besides eating."

Maximilian chuckled and raised Nephinae over his head, smiling up at her as his daughter shrieked with laughter and giggled.

The young Emperor still couldn't believe it.

He was only 22 years old, and already was a father to three children and the leader of an empire. At times, the pressure was suffocating, and Maximilian felt that everyone desired him to fail.

But not Zilyana.

His Beloved was always by his side, and he hoped would stay there.

"Have you talked to my grandmother?" Maximilian suddenly asked, placing Nephinae back into her cradle.

Zilyana made a face. "We are supposed to go see her, in an hour or so... time to discuss the Blessing."

The Sídhe Princess tried her hardest not to sound too bitter, but she was not happy about this so-called event. Maximilian knew of how Zilyana felt about this matter, as the two women - his lover and his grandmother - had argued nonstop about it since the birth of the twins.

"Just give her what she wants, and it will be over with," the Emperor advised.

Zilyana crossed her arms. "Max, when having you known me to give in, to anyone?"

Maximilian smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I can think of one person..."

Zilyana rolled her eyes. "You, my love, do not count. But... as long as I can see my mother, I suppose I will swallow my pride."

Maximilian nodded and pressed his lips to her cheek.

She had bathed in orange blossoms, vanilla, and sandalwood, Maximilian could smell. It was a scent that was unique to the Sídhe, her signature. How he missed it upon his sheets...

"How much longer must we wait?" Zilyana whispered, pulling him close.

Maximilian tried to not smirk. Seems he wasn't the only one hungering for their carnal nights again.

"Soon..." he replied, cupping her face in his hands. "So... so very soon." He kissed her forehead. "I must go to spend time with the Council, but when I'm done, how about we have our noon meal in my chambers? Or, I can come here?"

"I'll come to you," Zilyana replied smiling. "If I bring the twins, I know we won't fall into temptation."

Maximilian nodded and kissed her lips one last time, and then, he was gone.

Zilyana watched him leave her chambers before falling back onto her window with a sigh. She didn't understand the requirements of these humans of waiting six months until after one has given birth before couples share beds again. From what she knew of the Sídhe, three was the normal time.

'Just need to pass the time,' Zilyana thought. 'Pass the time and then I will be in the arms of my mother once again.'

She looked to her giggling, smiling babies with a smile of her own. "Come on you two. Let's go and see your great-grandmother..."