XXXVI. Ymerodrol Mam

Zilyana knew that Maximilian's declaration about the ending of slavery in the Empire would not be met with cheers of joy by everyone. The Sídhe Princess was prepared for it, but she did not care. Slavery was an abomination in the eyes of her gods, and she would be damned if she allowed her child to be born in a land that had it.

"Are you ready for all the complaining?" Zilyana asked Maximilian.

The two stood in their shared chambers, Zilyana helping Maximilian with his jacket. He was heading out to go and listen to petitioners, but both knew it would mostly be the elites in line today. After all, his orders had been announced that very morning, and Maximilian had to steel himself for the fighting.

"More than ready," Maximilian replied. "But what can they do? Nothing."

"You still need to look into getting those three positions back," Zilyana said. "But of course they need to be men you can trust."

Maximilian cupped Zilyana's face in his hands, staring into her eyes. "Please, do not worry about such matters. You need to care about yourself and your child. Let me handle this."

Zilyana made sure to keep her face blank as he kissed her forehead. When Maximilian left, the Princess sat down on a nearby couch, holding her head with one hand.

'But that's the problem...I cannot leave you alone to make these decisions. If I do, I fear they might betray you again...'

"You always were unable to keep your thoughts to yourself," a familiar voice said nearby. "You've changed much, Zil."

Zilyana turned her head to see Eltaor standing in the doorway, having appeared the moment Maximilian left. "I have had too. Or else, I would not survive here."

Eltaor crossed the room swiftly, wrapping his arms around her, but Zilyana held out her hands.

She had kept him at arm's length since he arrived, and she would continue to do it.

"Eltaor, no," Zilyana whispered.

"How can you stand it?" Eltaor asked through gritted teeth. "How can you sit here in His palace? On His lands? Carrying His child?"

"He is my mate, El," Zilyana whispered. "I told you that."

"But it's impossible," Eltaor snapped. "Such things are..."

"I know what I feel!" Zilyana snapped, leaping to her feet. "I know who my Mate is, and...it's not you."

Eltaor staggered back as if he had been slapped. "How...how can you..."

Zilyana lowered her eyes, yet then pulled herself up to her fullest height. "I will not argue with you Eltaor. I thought... I thought you were the one for me, but you are not. Can't you see that this is a good thing?"

"How is this a good thing?! He's violated you!"

"Do you believe my weak? That I could not defend myself enough so that no man will ever lay a hand on me without my consent? You don't get it, do you?! This is better than you, bigger than me! For once, both people can stop this senseless war!"

"And you believe the humans would stop it?"

"I've spoken with them, and most of the peasants have no quarl with us, it's the nobles. If we win them, then we can stop all this fighting."

"And if we do not want to stop it?" Eltaor asked. "If we do not allow those humans to have their way?!"

"Then you'll be standing against me," Zilyana said, lifting her chin. "You'll be standing against my child, and you know our Kind. We will not allow our children to be harmed. Whether I like it or not, my child will be half-human, and if it's a boy, then it will have a claim on these lands. Now, you either work with me or against me. And I do not think you want the former."