XLI. A Twin Sun Reunion

"Announcing Her Grace, Princess Zilyana of the Sídhe Kingdom and Consort of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Maximilian of the Paefon Empire!"

Zilyana forced a smile on her face as the doors to the Grandmatron's chambers were opened. At times, Zilyana had to admit she found the rooms that held the elderly woman fascinating, as they were not only the largest rooms in the Imperial Harem but also the most elaborate. 

Maximilian's mother, the Imperial Matron, favored things of rich quality but simple, soft, and muted colors. The Grandmatron was the exact opposite, with gold and silver tapestries, jewel-encrusted furniture, and more.

Like always, Grandmatron Evelyne sat in the middle of the room on a throne-like seat by the window. The red and gold-threaded cushion was plump, the elderly woman sitting upon it. To her right sat a young woman that Zilyana had seen many times in her courage, although Zilyana couldn't remember her name.

She was dressed as richly as a member of the Imperial Family would be, but Zilyana wasn't sure. Evelyne's left sat Maximilian's mother and sister, Marleina and Tarla. Then, to the right of the woman on Evelyne's right sat Chrysha and her children. All the women in the harem who had any true position seemed to be here, and they all sat in a way that placed Evelyne in the center.

Taking a deep breath, Zilyana entered the room and gave the respectful curtsy to Evelyne, Marleina, and Chrysha for last. Zilyana's handmaidens and the two nursemaids that she had brought with her, both curtsied low, although they were careful to hold both babies securely in their arms. Evelyne watched this all with a critical eye, before giving a nod for the women to rise.

"I see motherhood had cooled the fire in your blood, Sídhe Princess," Evelyne commented.

Zilyana bit back the sharp retort on her tongue, as she remembered her promise to Maximilian. "Caring for my children has diverted my interests to them and them alone," she finally said. "Is that wrong?"

Evelyne smirked. "Good to see your mind has focused on what is the most important."

She motioned for a chair to be brought and waited for Zilyana to be seated, before turning to the twins. "Bring them to me."

Zilyana nodded her permission - although she knew Evelyne could do what she wanted - and the nursemaids stepped forward. The first one presented to the Grandmatron was Nephinae, the eldest of the two.

"Hello, little one," Evelyne cooed into her face. "Hello, sweet little one."

The moment that Evelyne tried to hold Nephinae in her arms, the babe's face darkened. Opening her mouth, she let out a mighty wail, kicking her legs and pumping her fists.

Zilyana fought against the smile that threatened to curve her lips, but Tarla gave her a sly nudge with her foot.

Evelyne frowned and handed Nephinae back to her nursemaid who hurried over to Zilyana, who quickly took her daughter. Within moments the babe began to quiet down. The Grandmatron then turned her attention to Virion, who, much to Zilyana's sadness, did not begin to fuss like his sister.

Instead, little Virion - who had been sleeping - opened his blue eyes and yawned. He smiled up at Evelyne, raising his arms as he gurgled and reached for her dangling earrings. Evelyne grinned at this and kissed his forehead, tickling his belly.

"With wisdom, only men possess this one has," she said. "My dear, sweet, Prince."

Zilyana said nothing and instead bounced Nephinae in her arms.

"I called you here to discuss the matters of the Blessing," Evelyne said as she rocked Vivion in her arms. "I suppose you do not know what it is?"

"I'm very sure that you'll tell me," Zilyana said before she could stop herself.