XXXI. Steps Forward in Shadows

"Hurry, put it over there."

"Are you sure?"

"Who's the Handmaiden here? I say, put it there. And don't act like I can't find it, because I cannot see."

"I would never..."

"That goes over there!"

"This here?"

"Yes! And..."

Zilyana woke to the sound of whispers and shuffling outside of her bedchamber. The Sídhe Princess rubbed her eyes with a yawn and lifted her head, peeking through the crack of her doors. Behind it, she could see people moving about, shadows dancing. Curiously, Zilyana sat up, yet grabbed the dagger she always kept under her pillow and crept to the door.

Taking a deep breath, Zilyana pushed it open forcefully, her dagger raised to attack.

The women and eunuchs within all screamed and jumped back, terrified.

"What in the name of my gods are you doing here?!" Zilyana exclaimed.

Fiyona turned at the sound of Zilyana's voice and walked to her. "You're awake early."

"Why are there concubines and eunuchs in my room, that I did not summon?" Zilyana asked.

"They are bringing the Emperor's gifts to you," Fiyona explained.

"Gifts?" Zilyana repeated. "What gifts?"

Fiyona motioned to the several large boxes that the women and men were bringing in. "Look for yourself."

Sheathing her dagger, Zilyana walked to one of the large trunks and opened it. Inside lay countless coins made from Imperial gold, with the one next to it holding smaller ones made of silver. Coffers of uncut gems, bolts of cloth, shoes, jewelry, glossy furs; the list went on and on.

Two boxes sat on a nearby table, drawing Zilyana's eye.

The Sídhe approached the smaller, first box, and when she opened it, her eyes widened.

"My ring..." Zilyana gasped.

Fiyona turned. "What did you say?"

"It's my ring," Zilyana repeated, placing the volcanic ruby and white-gold ring upon her finger. "It's back."

Fiyona frowned. "Maybe I did lose it?"

'Or maybe someone forced Breannei to give it back,' Zilyana thought spitefully. 'I know she had it, and if I ever can prove it...'

"I was told there is another box near it," Fiyona said, directing the servants to organize the gifts. "What's in it?"

"Oh!"

Zilyana turned to the second, much larger box, and carefully opened it. This time, her jaw dropped.

Inside lay a large golden tiara, but it wasn't like a normal tiara that Zilyana saw Maximilian's sister, mother, or grandmother wear. No, this one had golden prongs sticking out of it, each about three inches long, with each prong decorated with garnets and ambers.

Carefully, Zilyana picked it up, yet the moment it moved, a letter fluttered into her hand.

'To my Beloved,

I might be leaving soon, to deal with this troublesome noble, but know that it is your face I dream of. This crown does not compare to your ethereal beauty, but I hope it comes close enough.

I hope you know that my love is like the fire of the sun, everlasting and constantly burning for you. As our child grows in your belly and one day enters this world, I know it will be loved and protected.