XII. A Princess makes Her own Rules

Zilyana figured that there was no reason to hide now that the palace knew about her.

Although the Sídhe had worn headwraps in the past, her ears were tucked in at the time. Thus, it wasn't that constricting. Since someone had spread the truth about her, there was no reason for her to hide anymore.

The following morning, the Sídhe walked down to the first floor of the harem with other concubines. She wore her ears open and proudly. The concubines all looked at her scandalized, their mouths gasping like fish caught on dry land.

"You stare harder. Your eyes go dry," Zilyana huffed.

The concubines quickly averted their gaze, shuffling away when the young Sídhe tries to sit down.

Zilyana frowned.

The other women weren't comfortable with her before they knew she was a Sídhe, and now that they knew the truth, she expected mistrust to turn into hatred.

'I don't want to deal with them today. I need... I need to get out of this palace. Just for a day, I'm fine with that.'

Your eyes sweep the dining room before falling on a slave-woman leaving with towels in her arms. Slowly, and an idea formed in Zilyana's head, the young Sídhe rose from her seat to follow the woman. The slave-woman yelps when she sensed Zilayan behind her, whipping around as she cowers in fear.

"I no hurt," Zilyanna said. "Your clothes. I want."

The Slave-woman looked confused. "What?"

"Your clothes, I want," Zilyana repeated. "I trade this for clothes."

Zilyana held out one of the bags that were inside the trunks Maximilian had given to her. The contents were gold and silver coins, much more money than Zilyana figured the woman had seen in her lifetime. The Slave-woman gasped, her eyes growing wide as she dropped the towels in her arms.

"Why... Why do you want my clothes?"

"I want outside. I want to see the city."

The Slave-woman nodded slowly, understanding her words. "If... If you want to sneak out, then I suggest going through the kitchens. It's the easiest way to get in and out of the palace."

"Thank you," Zilyana said, handing the woman the bag.

The Slave-woman and Zilyana went into a room, where she gave her clothes to the young Sídhe as well as a cloak.

"Watch where you go," the Slave-woman warned. "Some men do not abide by the laws of the gods and will attack the single woman."

Zilyana snorted. "I no fear human men. But thank you."

She nodded to the Slave-woman and hurried out of the room. Zilyana followed the woman's directions and slipped through the halls of the palace, reaching the kitchens.

It was much larger than Zilyana expected, with no less than three-dozen people buzzing around like bees in a hive. There were long tables covered with bowls and plates, food preparation ingredients covering them, and the ground. Dried orange peels and other minor herbs hung from the ceiling in large clusters, all within reaching distance. The room's back was a massive roaring fire, which fed into smaller ovens that lined the walls.

'So, this is the place that delivers that tasteless food... I do not have time to linger but will return and maybe teach these humans how to properly cook.'

The door in the back of the kitchens was open, and Zilyana hurried to it. No one paid any attention to her. After all, she was dressed as a slave, and her head was covered with a cloak. Within moments, Zilyana snuck out of the door and followed the tall walls until she reached the gates, to which she slipped out and into freedom.