III. Harem Hierarchy

An embellished carriage moved leisurely down the crowded streets of Newset City, causing the person inside the sigh. The roads were choked with people celebrating the crowning of the new Emperor, wine would be flowing freely, the gold coins that were tossed would be spent on the peasant's greatest desires.

"How much longer until we reach the palace, Mama?" the little boy asked.

The elegantly dressed Woman turned to her son, smiling at him as she stroked his face. Although he possessed her grey eyes, his father looked at them... at least, that was what the Woman believed.

"Soon, sweeting, soon," the Woman promised.

"You'll have a whole chamber to yourself," the Woman's handmaid said, trying to boost his spirits. "Maybe even a whole wing of the palace!"

"I don't want a whole wing to myself," the little boy pouted. "I want papa!"

The Woman chuckled, kissing her son's forehead. "Your father will be very excited to see you, my Prince. So, very excited."

She looked to her Handmaiden. "Tell them to go faster. I don't care if we have to shove these peasants out of the way. I need to get to the palace."

"Yes, my lady," the Handmaiden said.

She pounded on the roof of the carriage twice, signaling the driver to hurry it up. From his seat, the driver huffed, muttering under his breath about how impatient court ladies were, and how he couldn't wait to get home. He snapped his whip, the zorse's rearing with a loud whinny, before trotting forward.

"Make way!" the armed guards that surrounded the carriage shouted. "May way for her Highness! Make way!"

The peasants in the street scrambled to get out of their way. Else they get tramped. Nobles were known not to care about their lives, best they not make it more troublesome than it already was.

Fifteen minutes later, the carriage finally reached the gates of the imperial palace. It wasn't the front of the palace, but instead the main entrance, where all the most essential guests and even the imperial family entered and exited. The guards all had their hands on their swords, their bodies tense to defend those within. However, one had to only look at the carriage itself, to know the important occupants inside.

"Open the gates!" one of the guards shouted to those in the tower. "Open the gates!"

Slowly, the massive ironwood gates parted, revealing the magnificent royal palace. The Woman's breath hitched in her throat, her eyes widening with delight and astonishment.

Tucked away in one of the provinces of Paefon, living with her Lover and their son, the Woman never thought she'd end up here. Like her Lover, the Woman loved the quiet life, away from all those who might pull him from her. Now, they were here.

'This is my home now,' she thought as the carriage passed through the gates. 'My home and my son's.'

A small army of female slaves and eunuchs stood at the ready as the Woman's carriage pulled up to the loading bay. One of the guards opened the door, and first, the Handmaiden got out, then the small boy, and then the Woman herself. All the slaves bowed low at the waist in respect, but not as low as they would to one of imperial blood.

"My lady," one of the eunuchs said. "You grace us with your presence."

"Are my chambers ready?" the Woman asked, lifting her chin. "And my son's?"

"Of course, My lady," the eunuch replied. "We will present them to you now."

The doors to the palace were pushed open, and the Woman gasped. Everything had been cleaned and polished, redecorated for the crowning of the new Emperor. The court would be young and fresh; the Woman could even see people's faces that she didn't know. Yet, she brushed it away. Her mind wasn't on them. It was on her Lover.