Chapter 83:A mute

Carisa raised a below at Vasin's comment, "So you're telling us to go ahead and take action?" Basin asked to make sure.

"Yeah..." Carisa said slightly confused at his turn of attitude.

"Perfect." He turned towards her and smiled down at her, "We're heading back to HQ."

"Already?" Carisa questioned confused, "Ain't there a still a problem with those things outside."

"It's not right now, but the second there's a chance to leave. Now." He turned away, "Go spend your time with Amite, I have things to do." He walked off as Carisa stood there dumbfounded, she looked around to see a few Alaois walking around minding their business.

She eventually got her thoughts together and walked off looking for Amite. She felt concerned bubbling up in her over Vasin's behavior. The worry clear and visible in her face.

"What's wrong Carisa?" Amite asked walking up to her with weapons and boxes in her hands.

Carisa shook her head, "Just... thinking."

Amite leaned her head to the side, "you know there hasn't been any big attack today. We were thinking the humans might want to leave the tents we've set, why don't you go persuade them to come out?"

Carisa raised a brow, "Me? What would I tell them?"

Amite laughed, "You're the human, you should know."

She patted Carisa's shoulder and pointed at a tent, "Try talking to the family group first, maybe you can convince the kids."

She gently pushed Carisa forward and went on her merry way. Watching from afar as Carisa walked up to the tent and went inside. Carisa put up a smile on her face looking at the people watching her.

"New prisoner?" One asked with his hands crossed.

"Uh... no... just here to talk," Carisa said looking around to see everyone shared the same sour expression, while a few looked afraid.

The man who'd commented scoffed, "We're all prisoners, don't believe all the crap they say about protecting us. They started this, so they won't fool me into believing they wanna fix it. They probably want to experiment on us."

A middle-aged looking man with a gruff beared got up and walked over, "Don't mind him." He smiled at Carisa, "So young lady, how'd you end up here?"

Carisa felt her hands get sweaty, if she told them the truth she was sure to be outcasted, "I was minding my own business while walking in a town. The next thing I know hoard is coming up and they snatch me up to bring me here... I'm... I'm infected."

The man didn't even sound surprised, "Yeah well get in line, eighty percent of the camp is infected, children included." He called a kid, "Lucas." The kid stood up and walked over, he looked to be around ten years old, "My son," the old man lifted his kid's arm and a bite was there, but it had already scarred, "We got here maybe a month ago... can't say I completely hate the freaks... they saved my kid."

Carisa's mouth opened slightly in surprise, she saw how the kid looked saddened, "I see." She leaned down to see the kid, smiling at him, "Does it still hurt?"

The kid shook his head as his father spoke, "He's a mute... well... more like hasn't spoken since his mother... passed."

Carisa frowned straightening back up, "I... I know what that feeling is like."

Lucas looked up at her and his father introduced himself, "oh, my name William, just call me Will for short."

She extended her hand to him, "Carisa."

They shook hands and Will showed her around. Introducing her to every family in that tent. When he stopped he looked at her, "Well there are more people to meet, but they're off in different tents. We can't go outside at the moment, so maybe you'll meet them another time."

Carisa took this as an opportunity to maybe have them come outside and maybe speak to Alaois in good terms, "Why not... I heard the attacks haven't been that bad, I was just told to come here because they didn't want me alone."

Will raised a brow, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm positive." She looked at Lucas, "Come on, it can be fun."

Lucas took her hand and Carisa walked out with him, Will following closely behind. Carisa spotted an Alaois close by, she'd been one of the parents she'd met when caring for the kids. Smiling she walked towards her holding Lucas's hand.

"Hi." She said.

The alaois quickly recognized her smiling back, "Hello, need anything Carisa?"

Carisa shook her head, "No, just came to present someone." She looked down at Lucas who was a little startled,m" This is Lucas."

The alaois leaned down extending their hand to shake Lucas, "Hi there." She said sweetly, to which Lucas was hesitant but shook her hand. The alaois giggled, "You're a strong young boy. Reminds me of my baby." She giggled straightening her posture, "Maybe you can meet him."

His silence made the Alaois uncomfortable until Carisa spoke up, "He doesn't talk."

"Oh." The Alaois looked bashful, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable-" hearing her name being called she turned, "I'll see you both another time." She walked off taking her gun out from her side and her expression turning to concentration.

Carisa turned around to see Will standing not far confused as he looked at her. Getting out of his trance and walking over, "What was that?"

"Oh, it's probably those zombie animals again."

He shook his head, "not that... you talked to her like you knew her."

Carisa laughed nervously, "I've seen her before. They don't seem to mean so... might as well talk, right?"

Will raised a brow as Lucas hugged him, "They don't exactly talk to us the way they talk to you?"

"Well..." Carisa scratched her arm, "How do you greet them when you talk? Maybe they find you rude."

Will wasn't buying her rambling on, "Rude? Really?" He shook his head, "Let's just head back inside, there's nothing good waiting for any of us outside."