Chapter 84: Rotting away

Need a and Zarb had managed to leave camp and head straight for HQ. Need a was biting her nails looking out the window, "What if they get angry knowing I left without permission."

Zagreb shook his head, "They can't do anything about it. We're already far and almost at HQ?" He grabs her hand squeezing it gently, "we'll talk to the boy and make sure Fallyn is replaced. She needs to see things that need to be dealt with differently."

"I know... how do you think Carisa will react to everything. The whole world she's known coming to an end." Neda went quiet feeling saddened at the thought, "Carisa told me she was angry a while ago... angry about what we've done." She pressed her hands together, "If even she's angry with getting to know us... what about everyone else? The humans must all hate us, they have reasons to-"

"Neda!" Zareb interrupted her, "We all believed we were doing the right thing... we all thought it was a good choice... Alaois can't be right all the time, mistakes happen... this happens."

Neda got up turning around, "I love talking with Carisa, she's so sweet and small... I didn't think humans would be that way... I killed them on sight that day... what if I have killed part of her loved ones... Ezhno did... Amite did. I might as well killed her family too."

Zareb stopped the vehicle and flung his hands in the air, "We didn't! We were very far from her town, we never even knew it existed until she mentioned it."

"Humans used to travel Zareb, maybe her family had!" Neda said justifying a reason to blame herself.

Zareb grabbed her hands and spun her around, "It doesn't matter... she's not angry at you. Carisa trusts us... you've been more than honest, it's all fine."

Neda looked at the floor, "She didn't deserve to be born human, she should have been one of us... she's all sick because of us." Neda could close her eyes and see Carisa's sick complexion, "She's not getting any better, she's dying and we can't do anything. There's been test over the test, nothing works! And we're just worried about setting the world up in flames, we're letting her die along with it."

Zareb pulled her into a hug quieting her down, "I know, but that's not on us. We're getting a new commander and they'll make the right choice, it's the best for all of us."

While Neda and Zareb continued their trip to HQ Amite walked into the tent with a serious expression, looking around until spotting Carisa.

Signaling her to follow her out Carisa walked straight behind. Amite turned around to look at her once they were both out, "Did you make friends?" She asked.

Carisa nodded, "They don't seem half bad... they don't all hate Alaois either."

Amite grinned, "I'm glad to hear that." She said turning around, "Neda and Zareb left... did they tell you anything about that?"

Carisa shook her head, "No, did they leave without telling anyone?"

"Yeah... Vasin is pissed. But... he seems to be concentrating on something else." She explained, "But anyways, Ezhno and I are here so anything you need you to know you can talk with us... especially me."

Carisa nodded, "I know.... hey, have you heard anything about Marnik?"

She shook her head, "He's hasn't gotten to the other ship yet, but just stay calm, he'll call once he gets there." She smiled reassuringly before looking ahead, "There's been a protective barrier set, and... certain things are changing. The next few days certain humans will be taken to HQ... the ones left behind will be free to go wherever."

Carisa raised a brow, "Who decided this?"

"The commanders of course."

"But which one... because it doesn't sound like something Fallyn would agree to." Carisa said, "Am I wrong?"

"Vasin decided it... he also publicly announced Fallyn will be moved to a different commander station, one far from earth," Amite explained.

"But Fallyn wouldn't agree-"

"Well Carisa it was either she agreed or be demoted... and for a commander, that's the biggest disgrace they could carry. She chose her easy way out and that's more than understandable. After all, she's become too invested, even slightly obsessed with humans." Amite sighed heavily, "Three years ago she couldn't give much of a damn, and now here we are with her."

"What are you getting at?"

Amite walked up to Carisa looking down at her, "Fallyn wanted to know more about humans since you arrived, wanted to know what makes you tick, what part of you could somehow call out attention now and not before. She becomes obsessed wanting to know every detail." She pressed a hand on her shoulder, "Carisa... I saw the information I wasn't supposed to. She collected data on you... Carisa there's been three tests of cures on you or more... they all failed."

"I know." Carisa admitted, "There's been four... the last one I got before heading here. Don't you think I can tell? I've been picked with needles for months now. I know when they're either testing a new cure or slowing the process down... because they feel different..." Carisa was quiet a second, "Do you have any idea what it's like to look in the mirror and see yourself rotting away?"