Chapter 34: She needs to know

Carisa closed her eyes, feeling Marnik grab her hand she told him, "I was a student, I'd take classes in the morning and head back home in the afternoon. Dad used to work at the hospital, and come home late. mom stayed at home and would always make snacks. She was so overprotective..."

She felt a knot on her throat and took a second to calm down, "I used to live going to the movies with my friends, we would laugh so much and just fool around. We would always be doing things together. And when one of us found something we loved, we just had to talk about it."

"That sounds nice, a happy life." He said, watching the small shine in her eyes bright up at the memories, "I'm sorry."

She turned to face him, looking up at him as he looked away, "I met you now... so that's nice as well."

Marnik moved on his spot until meeting her gaze once more, pressing a hand against her cheek, "I have so much to tell you." Bitting his lip he stood up, "Get some sleep, I have some things to deal with." Standing by the door a second, he looked at her. Finding Carisa staring right back at him, "I'm not going anywhere, so if you need anything just pass through the door and you'll see me."

Closing the door as he passed he leaned his head against the frame, groaning and slamming his head against it not too hard so it wouldn't be heard. Straightening up his posture he turned around and went into the linking room, plopping himself on a seat. He looked at the door a second and called up Amite.

"I... I need someone to talk to someone." His head hung low, "I want to tell her, I need to tell her what I did."

Amite gave him a short answer, "I'm coming over."

And few seconds later she was at the door. A frown plastered in her face as she looked through the room making sure it was only them, "You really want to tell her... not just keep it as a forever secret? I won't tell her, neither will Ezhno."

"No, she needs to know. She hasn't lied to me, hasn't hidden anything... or it doesn't seem that way. I want to be fair, I want to tell her." He said as Amite sat down besides him.

Amite looked at the door to the room, keeping a close eye on it, she didn't want Carisa overhearing and switched to their native tongue, "If you want to you should start small then. Just start by mentioning you set a bomb with the infection... then mention you killed a lot of people in the process... then at the very end tell her it was the city closest to her town. I'm not going to lie, even separately this is a lot to take in."

"I know it's a lot to take in. So what if she doesn't forgive me, what if it's too much?" His voice was low and sad at the thought, "She'd want to leave."

Amite pressed a hand on his shoulder trying to ease his worries, "I doubt Carisa will ever leave you, she says she trust you... now is when you'll know if it's all true. You'd have to tell her all of this soon, you don't want to drag it out much if you plan on telling her. I know the commanders aren't bad but... they won't hold back on facts when telling her, she's becoming a part of our society slowly but certainly."

This only made Marnik more nerves, "Tomorrow morning, first thing I do."

Amite smiled standing up, "I'm just a few rooms away Marnik, you can call me any time."

That being said she walked out the door, Marnik stood still a while and stared at the bedrooms door. Hesitantly he opened the door, finding Carisa fast asleep. Her breathing calm and her hand clutching onto the bed sheets.

Sitting besides her he couldn't played in his head how he'd tell her. Staying up all night without sleeping, just playing it over and over in his head. How he'd word things out for her, sure there where ways to tell her, but he wanted to be as honest as possible but not make it sound too bad.

He couldn't just go and say, 'it's my fault your parents are dead' but put it in a nicer way, ' I bombed a city.' Everything he thought off had something that would surely make her displeased. Unaware of all the time he spent there until she stirred up and sat up besides him.

"Morning... I think." She said, still groggy and rubbing her eyes.

"Yes, morning." He stood up, opening the door for her, "let's get you something to eat."

Following behind him she speed up to walk beside him, "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long..." at least that's how it had felt for him. He pushed the bathroom door open, "Clean up. I'll get you new clothes."

Closing the door he stepped out of the room, Amite was already standing there and Ezhno was walking over, "I'm getting clothes-"

Amite didn't even wait for him to finish speaking, "I'll go with you, Ezhno keep Carisa company." She grabbed Marnik by the arm and walked away leaving Ezhno behind."

Walking closely behind him she watched his gaze look distant, his thoughts taking up his attention as his side slammed onto the wall. Snapping out of his thoughts and pressing a hand against his forehead on reflex.

Rubbing the spot and looking at Amite who held in a laugh. She put up q straight face, "If you haven't told her, then calm down. The time to worry is after she knows."

Knowing she had a point he sighed. Without a word said continuing down the hall until a familiar voice spoke.

"Marnik, good to see you." The commander spoke up behind him. The man stood tall and leaning against the wall like he'd been expecting him to come by.

"Hello commander." He greeted in unison with Amite.

He looked behind them expecting to see someone else, "Where's the human?"

"She's back in the room. I'm getting her a change of clothes." Marnik answered watching the man straighten up when he didn't see anyone.

"Amite can get those for you, you and I are having a talk. You don't mind do you Amite?" The commander looked at her sternly.

"Not at all." She said and walked on, giving Marnik a look of caution.

Marnik looked up at the man, holding his stance, "What would you like to speak off?"

"The human... what plans do you have for her? She isn't exactly immune to the infection like us, she's still a young as well. You can never take her anywhere... just why would you care about her? Why bother bringing her when you say this planet is doomed to die." The man crossed his arms.

"I care for her... it just happened. I don't know what else to say."

The commander wasn't having it, "She's dead weight, why taint our perfect kind? We are all pure in this fleet, and as pure we are strong. Tell me which fleet of half breeds ever gets anywhere? Their weak and pathetic."

"I don't care... After all, even if our kind is stronger as pure, we always stick together. We protect what is around us... and if something is a plague we destroy it... is she a plague in your eyes commander?" Marnik's words where to the point and the commander didn't have a quick answer.

"Let's see how much of a plague she really is through time. After all, humans seem to destroy what's around them. Even in this so called apocalypse to them, they still find time to burn down entire forests... so your little human, will have to speak for herself." He turned around just as Amite appeared again. Having a glare on his eyes before he was out of view.

Amite saw how Marnik's hand was shaking, "What happened?"

"What happened is that if the commander comes close to Carisa... I'll kill him."