Chapter 44: Fallen shine

Carisa and Marnik had fully moved into their new room. And she was thinking of a way to tell him of the preservation thing. She wondered if he knew and just hadn't told her.

"Do you know of Fallyn's plan..." she began and looked over at him, "to preserve humans?"

Nearly shocking his food he swallowed, "No... where did you hear that?"

"Neda told me, and Zareb confirmed it." She said to him but he didn't seem aware of who they were, "The guards that helped us just a few minutes ago."

"Oh." He said recalling them, "Well what do you know?" He was curious about it, seemingly unaware of the plans Fallyn had.

She explained everything she knew about the subject quickly, "What do you think?"

He finished eating by the time she was done, "I'll speak with her."

"But what do you think Marnik? Come on I'm asking your opinion here."

With her persistence he crossed his arms, "I think she's making a mistake, humans are a toxic raze mostly. Carisa this planet is dying, it's time might just be months, maybe a few years."

Her head fell and she frowned, slightly angered by his look on things, "So you don't want her to take her plans into action?"

"I would rather she didn't." He admitted.

Carisa stood up and left the kitchen, without saying another word. She couldn't agree with him, she wanted more humans to survive not just her... but he didn't see it that way. He saw her as the only ounce of purity humanity could ever have. She didn't want to even think of what he said, calling up Amite to forget about it.

"Hey, how was babysitting?" Amite asked sounding happier then she'd sounded last time.

"It was fine." Hearing the tone of her voice Amite knew something was wrong.

"Is something going on?... you know... anything like Bloody murder..."

Carisa laughed, "No... it's fine. Marnik and I were just having a small run in. How's your trip going?"

Amite brightened up at that, "There's been a change of plans. I can't say anything for sure just yet but we have been moved. It's a human region, so this might be interesting."

She suspected Amite knew of the preservation Fallyn was planning and made a simple question, "What commander do you answer to?"

The question made Amite silent, "Well both of them... why?"

"I'm just curious... how exactly do the commanders even work?" Carisa asked, she couldn't understand how they could both be in charge.

"It's a bit more complicated than you might think. The commanders work together, they decide what the best course of action is. In our case, we only have our two commanders which you've met. But there's many more, they, however, happen to work in different ships and planets. Fallyn and Vasin have been assigned earth, and here they take the best course of action together. You seen they complement one another, what Vasin lacks Fallyn will have." With that explanation Carisa felt like she had a better understanding, so anything one of them knew so did the other, "But there's one thing all alaois respect amongst each other. We work together, and never alone. If anyone defies that they defy their kind, and most of the time end up banished. They wouldn't be considered an alaois at all."

She could hear how Amite's voice sunk in the end, had she seen this happen before? Carisa hummed to let her know she understood, "Oh, by the way, we moved rooms. We're closer to the commander and his kid now... also Bavyn gave me a rock. Marnik mentioned it was from your home planet. It shines really bright... know what it is?"

"Hm, I think I know what you're talking about." Amite went quiet a moment, you could still hear her whispering to someone before she got back in the call, "It's commonly referred to as Fallen shine."

"Fallen shine... can you tell me anything else about it?" Piquing her curiosity Carisa couldn't help but ask.

"It's a precious and common jewel, given to family members as a form of acceptance. Alaois believe that becoming accepted in your family is not when you are born, but when you've proven your worth. Most parents give them when they've reached the ages of five to ten, if not, it's the parent's way of disowning their child. Yes, sounds out of place to a species that relies on one another, but it's one of the small details. Besides some parents give them when the child has accomplished something big." Amite took a pause to catch her breath, "This doesn't mean you're abandoned by your whole race, it's just that they wouldn't go through extreme risks with you... in other words, Bavyn is just saying he's willing to take risks with you."

Carisa felt flattered and giggled nervously, "But he barely met me, does he even know what that means? Is it taught to children?"

Amite laughed, "Yeah, it's one of the first things you learn, it means a lot. Sure he might have just met you today, but the fact he's given it to you says everything. You don't need to know a person your whole life to trust them... if not you wouldn't have trusted Marnik, or me, or anyone."

Carisa was left quiet, she was right. She'd learned to trust Marnik over the course of a few days. Bavyn was a child... he's bound to grow close to people the kinder they are in his eyes.

"Is Marnik around?" Amite asked.

"Yeah, I'll get him to come to talk to you." Carisa stood up and knocked beside the door to catch Marnik's attention, "Amite wants to talk with you."

He stood up and joined them on the call. Leaving Carisa her space after their last conversation, "I'm here."

"Good, I want you and Carisa to come in a week and meet up with me and Ezhno. Don't ask, I'll send you directions along with time and you'll be there." Amite spoke like giving an order and finishing the call after speaking with Marnik a while longer.