Chapter 77: too good for the world

Carisa hugged Marnik tightly, he was just about to leave with Antiope. She pressed her head against his chest and sighed heavily, "You better call me as soon as you can."

"I will." He assures her and presses his hand on the back of her head, slightly getting tangled in her hair, "it won't be long till things get better..."

"I know." She gave him one last tight squeeze before stepping back, "How longs the trip again?"

"Few days, then I'll be back to... my duties in another ship." He looked to the side seeing Antiope leaning back against the wall and keeping an eye on him, "I'll keep you updated on it."

Neda walked over, wrapping a hand over Carisa's shoulder, "Time to head out Marnik." She gave him a reassuring smile, "I'll keep an eye out."

Marnik's face was serious but calm, "I know..." he cocked his head to the side looking back down at Carisa, "You have your hands full with the kids... don't overwork yourself."

She nodded, "I won't." She nudged Neda's side, "I don't think they'll let me anyways."

Neda grinned and turned her eyes to look at Zareb, "your first weeks with me..." she leaned in slightly, "And I found out about the town you asked about... maybe it's best if you forget about it."

Carisa's attention turned to her, "But it's taken so long for you to find out, isn't it good, so you can finally tell me."

Neda scratched the back of her head whispering, "I've known for a while... but I think it's best to just not bring it up. It's in the past Carisa... it shouldn't matter."

"It matters to me." Carisa whispered and looked back at Marnik, and saw Antiope stand behind him, "Time to go already?..."

He nodded and leaned down to her level seeing how busy she was already getting, "I'll miss you." He turned around and stepped through the door along with Antiope, turning and waving goodbye to her. He didn't extend his goodbyes further, starting at her for as long as he could.

Carisa rubbed the hem of her shirt and watched the ship until it took off, her eyes turning back to Neda, "So about the town."

Neda held her head down, "Let's not... just think about it Carisa. Everyone was following what we were tasked to do three years ago... I obliterated a town, I killed so many... and every time I'm reminded of it I think of you... maybe you knew them maybe you didn't."

"Then was it you who did it?" Carisa questioned.

"No... but let's say I was... will you hold it against me?"

Carisa was quiet pondering the thought, "Well yes, I would be... but I just need to know. I want to move on."

Neda frowned, "Then blame me for it."

"You didn't do it," Carisa claimed.

Neda shook her head, "What would that matter. You want to move on, and I am an Alaois. I will carry the acts of my comrades as if they were my own. Because in the end, we are all the same, we were all doing as we were told, our duties. I destroyed a city just like them... it's only fair you hate me just as much."

Carisa frown but understood Neda was not in the wrong, "You're too good for this world."

Neda grinned at her, "Now come on, we got things to do. Won't be able to talk to Marnik for a day or two, so make the best of it. You're a free woman, no man to hold you down." Neda moved her hand across the sky, "No limits, you do what you want, how you want, and where you want."

"Settle down now." Carisa calmed her down and saw Zareb walking over, "Let's start small. What I'm aware, I have to move rooms. Let's start there, then we can go and have fun or something."

Zareb walked up to them and smiled down at Carisa, "Actually there's been a small change in plans. Everything has already been moved in so don't worry about that. But, we are going to the camp, Fallyn said it would be a good idea to have you talk with everyone there. Wants you to make friends... most,y because a small group mentioned you."

Carisa leaned her head to the side, she supposed it was probably Ethan and his group, "When did they mention me?"

"A few days ago." Zareb shrugged, "They said you traveled with an Alaois... ok they called us demons... I did not appreciate that."

Carisa laughed nervously, "Yeah... I think I know who you mean."

Zareb looked at her, "Really... you're around people that call us demons?"

"Well, I tried to explain you aren't. But people don't accept a change that easy.... especially from one of the things that have been killing us for years... then again you considered us pests." Carisa retorted.

Zareb nodded, "Point taken... should we head out?"