Chapter 11: fever

Spending two nights in the place she was attacked by a couple of zombies that tried to get in and dealing with a cold. She was coughing like crazy, a sore throat, and her forehead was burning up. No matter which corner she tried hiding it, she felt freezing.

She couldn't keep spending her time in there, sooner or later the mass of zombies outside would get in... And she would end up like them. Mindlessly walking, killing, devouring everything on sight. Shaking her head she got those thoughts out. Leaning her back against the wall as she forced her body up.

Her eyes slowly looking outside, making sure there weren't any zombies nearby that could tackle her. A knife held on tightly in her hand, her knuckles white from the grip she had on it.

Getting out the hut she began moving at a quick pace. Her body begging her to go back, to just rest, but she wouldn't. She didn't want to stay there any longer, the sun was out, she had time to make it somewhere else, or so she hoped.

Pressing her body forward and keeping herself alert. Her mind alert, but slowly drifting off, she couldn't hold in the coughs anymore. Alerting everything around her of her presence. All eyes on her she... the chase was on. Forgetting the pain, the cold, and letting the fear guide her she ran.

Going to the limit, the knife still safely in her grasp. The zombies were getting closer, and she was getting slower. Looking ahead there were only trees in the way, and they were far too close for her to try climbing them, not to mention she probably couldn't get up to the first branch.

Turning on her heel she faced the zombie, meeting it with her knife straight to the head. The next one was just about to pounce when she managed to get the knife off the other's head. This one clawed at her, only managing to slice her jacket before she smashed the knife into his head. More were coming, but at least they were farther behind.

Starting to run again she went into the woods, the growls sounding all around her, where to hide the thought. Before she knew it something grabbed her from behind, lifting her up in the trees. Her bag dropping to the ground, turning around she saw those purple eyes, staring down at her. She. Didn't think she'd ever felt this glad to see him.

Holding onto him and crying, she was so glad she wasn't alone anymore. When feeling him wrap a hand behind her she just cried harder. His hand making its way to her forehead, he noticed the fever.

Looking up at him she could barely tell the change in his eyes before they were back to normal. The growls below trying to jump and catch her, but they were too high up. Grabbing her tightly in his arms and leaping from one tree to another she fell asleep. She was too drained to keep her eyes open, to listen to what happened around her... everything was just black.

Getting to a safer area he set her down against the odd-looking vehicle. Going inside it he brought out something in his hands. Putting it against her face, like a mask. It was an alien mask, it could filtrate the air into a purer form for her to breathe. He was taking her to the city, the most dangerous places on earth for a human.

Populated with thousands if not millions of zombies, not to mention the air around them was toxic. If any human stepped it, they'd be infected immediately. That's why he needed her wearing the mask, no matter how toxic the air was it wouldn't get her.

Looking at her sleeping so soundly he forgot for a second how sick she was. Did she get a bit? Looking over her legs and hand he only saw the gash on the jacket, ripping the piece of fabric off her, but her arm was fine. Not one scratch on her...

Grabbing her back up in his arms he walked straight for the city, he'd get her what she needed... then he'd eat her. After all the problems he'd gone through with her, it was only fair she was the one to eat her. He couldn't risk his curiosity over having a fresh meal, that wasn't rotten.

The people he had eaten the other day weren't enough to satisfy him... he wanted more, he wanted to pull off her flesh piece by piece, her ear-piercing screams coming out as he did so.

It wasn't until he was about to walk in with her to the city that she woke up. Seeing where he walked and feeling the mask on her face she panicked.

"Let go! I can't go in there." She yelled at him, she'd only witnessed it once, but she knew that something in the cities was terribly off.

He looked at her and smiled, trying to let her know nothing in there was going to kill her, that was something only he had the right to do. Seeing that smile on him only made him look sadistic and that was exactly what he was.

He'd be the death of her...