Chapter 71: Half breeds

Fallyn clicked her foot against the floor, "I just want what is best for everyone, like you."

Basin sighed, "I know, it's our job and our duty to keep them safe." he looked down at his hand before clenching it, "And I need to make sure this is a safe place for Bavyn... Or send him off where it will be."

"We'll work it out." Fallyn ushered, "Now let's worry with what's at hand... Let's get the cure."

As the days passed before they knew it, Fallyn and Vasin had to greet Antiope's arrival. They stood guard waiting for her to walk out.

Antiope wasn't a commander like them, but she's held in high regard as a soldier. She'd been in the highest ranks and offered to come in the ship, to which she declined. Something along the lines of letting Marnik set his path.

Fallyn stood in front seeing Antiope walkout, "Welcome, I hope your trip was well."

"Hello commander... " she looked over at Vasin, "Commanders... You called me in regards to Marnik, correct?"

"Yes, given his background, you're you're the only family superior we could contact." Fallyn began to explain, with one look Vasin walked forward.

"Marnik had acted wrongly, he's lucky no one got hurt in the process. But still, this can't go ignored. We'd like you to talk with him, and after, he'll be sent to another ship." as Vasin explained Antiope seemed confused, "Marniks... Decided to bring a human into the ship. She was accepted by us, and she's become one of us-"

"You're telling me he's brought in what he was supposed to kill?" Antiope question confused, "That doesn't sound like something he'd do... at least not without reason."

Fallyn and Vasin both looked at each other, Antiope just waited for them to explain. Fallyn sighed, "I think it would be best if you spoke about that with him yourself. It's a... complicated subject."

Antiope raised a brow, "Well where is he?"

"Currently?" Vasin said more in a questioning tone towards Fallyn.

"Yes." Antiope waited.

Fallyn laughed nervously, "Well, you see he's... taking care of the kids around. Along with the human."

"The kids?" Antiope looked confused, "I thought he was off on field duty."

"He would be." Vasin said, "But it's best if you just go talk with him. We'll  escort you there." Vasin stood aside to let Fallyn lead the way and Antiope follow as he walked behind the two.

Their walk was short through the halls until reaching the door, from the outside they could already hear the kid's laughter. But as soon as that door opened there was silence. All eyes on the three walkings in.

Carisa sat with her back to them, helping one of the kids in something, too concentrated to notice. Marnik however was quick to notice, pulling Carisa to her feet and smiling towards his mother, "I'm so glad you made it.

Antiope looked from him to Carisa murmuring to herself, "I see what the commanders when they said it's complicated...." she looked at Marnik directly, "Marnik." She smiled, "Let's talk."

Marnik held Carisa's hand, mentally preparing himself, "Before we do... I'd like you to meet Carisa. My... human companion."

Carisa raised a brow, that was a new term from him, "Hello, Marnik's told me a lot about you." Carisa extended her hand to Antiope.

Antiope smiled towards her, shaking her hand a second, "Well, I hope you don't mind, I'll be taking Marnik with me a while."

Carisa nodded, "Not at all." She looked to Marnik and squeezed his hand reassuringly, he'd been worrying all week about this, "Just stay calm."

Antiope dragged Marnik out with her while the commanders stayed with Carisa, looking at the children. Vasin calling over Bavyn and hesitating before hoisting him up in his arm.

"Do you think she's in a good mood?" Carisa asked worriedly.

Fallyn felt her head pound with a headache, "Well she's been traveling here for a week... stuck in a small ship... no one else on board... let's hope for the best... that's what you humans say right."

Carisa lugged disdainfully, "Yeah... hope for the best."

Vasin was concerned with Bavyn, "How have his studies been?"

"Top of the class, and still having fun." Carisa answered, watching Vasin move Bavyn's hair from his face, "But isn't all these classes stressing for the children, like really... they're just two years old at most."

"He'll soon be three," Vasin said, seemingly lost in thought.

Carisa felt a wave of nostalgia hit her... he was right, in just a couple of weeks, it would mark the third year of the apocalypse. Three years ago, she lived happy and normal. Now, she's somewhat happy, but nothing she does can truly be considered normal.

"I believe you humans celebrate birthdays once a year. Some of us do that, most though just celebrate the coming of age, which would be at twenty." Fallyn explained having Vasin hand Bavyn over to her, "When Bavyn reaches that age, he'll be a commander, and be off to a different ship."

Carisa looked at them, seeing Bavyn extend his hands to her, "Do you ever just all get together?" Bavyn pushed until he was in her arms.

Fallyn sighed seeing how he still wouldn't warm up to her, "Of course we do. We normally just call of course. Everyone has a duty to uphold in each ship, and we must always work towards helping each other."

"Does everyone think like that?" Carisa asked, letting Bavyn go play with the other kids.

"No." Vasin answered his eyes slightly saddened, "There's always a few that don't like the way things are run. And they rebel, so when they do, they are thrown out. You'll be marked where everyone can see, and no alaois will ever come to your aid again."

Fallyn looked towards the kids, "Those who are thrown from the groups, normally they turn to other kinds. And that's where half breed alaois are born. They aren't exactly formidable, it all depends on what's the other half they're made up of... but those half breeds aren't at fault for their parent's mistakes, so they are accepted in."

"They always prove to be a disappointment."Vasin said bitterly, "Their traitors, murderers, thieves... I don't know why we keep accepting them in reality."

Fallyn glared at him, "Not all of them are like that. In fact, there are five half breeds in the ship. Their helpful, loyal, and active."