Chapter 55: Come back

Carisa stepped back, "Leave?! You think I'd leave with you."

Marnik pinched his nose, "Do you want to die on this planet then? I don't think you would." Looming over her he huffed, "But if that's the case, then say the word, and we can both die here."

She crossed her hands looking up at him with a scowl. She held her tongue but they continued to stare at each other. Neither one of them backing down on what had been said. It wasn't until screams outside caught both their attention.

He looked at her one more time, "Stay here, don't even go on the roof." As his hand landed on the handle to get the door open he repeated, "Stay here."

"Just go." She spat and shut the door of the driver's area.

He walked out and heard the screams again. The people he'd hung were squirming in place attracting zombies to the area. They were begging to pile under the tree, scratching and growling looking up at the young man.

Marnik was quick to climb and stand on a branch across from him, "Unless you want to die getting eaten, shut up."

The man's eyes snapped to look at him, widening and squirming in place, and as he opened his mouth but no sound came out.

"Stay like that and maybe you'll make it through the night." Marnik looked at the man's leg where he'd been bitten. Stepping down from the tree he got on the roof of the vehicle.

Grabbing his hair and tying it up he looked around the area. The sun slowly coming up, while he tried to find a spot where he could leave the vehicle far enough from the subjects so no alaois trailing after him could find them. After all the infection took time to take over the victim. He'd need to keep them alive until they either turned, or the cure worked. Testing them daily he was sure he could spot any advances in less than a week.

But now he'd be calling Amite, meeting up with her, and deciding the best course of action. Opening the hatchet he dropped down. The door still shut from when he walked out, going to open it he hesitated. And pressed his ear against the door, listening in. She was definitely in there, and with her calm breaths, he was pretty sure she was asleep.

Sighing, he didn't need to wake her up. And grabbed the communication device, calling Amite and lowering the volume to not wake Carisa up.

"MARNIK!" Amite's voice rang.

"Yeah, hi." He said.

"HI?! Really? Where are you?"

"Woods." He answered shortly, "You sound concerning, what's wrong?"

"What's wrong is you left HQ with Carisa, without telling anyone! The commanders are looking everywhere for you. If you left worried about the situation then it was a stupid move. Everything's under control now, you can bring her back."

Marnik looked behind him to make sure she hadn't walked in, "Have you been there?"

"No, but-"

"They're sending us to our deaths." Marnik interrupted, "Amil got infected with that thing, next thing I know everyone who got infected is being killed off. What do you think they'll do to her then?"

Amite was quiet a second, "Did you see him die?"

"No, we left-"

"They have quarantined everyone Marnik, no one died. Injured yes, everything's a little crazy at the moments but things are under control... I'll send you my location, maybe after we talk in person you'll change your mind." She told him, but Marnik could make out whispers in the background.

"No... I'll keep my distance a while... unless you go back to HQ and can swear to me everything's alright... I'm not going." He hung up on her without another word. His form beginning to panic, he needed to change locations now.

Plans changed, he couldn't go with Amite. She was not alone, and to make matters worse they probably had his location.

Getting on his feet and opening the door Carisa who had been sleeping slowly turned to meet his gaze. His eyes shooting towards the empty seat, and scanning the area, zombies were all over the place but not enough to make the travel impossible.

Starting the engine he drove out of the area, with each passing second coming closer to the dreaded red zone he'd once fought hard to get away from. Carisa's eyes scanning the surroundings and seeing how the deeper they went the more zombies roamed around.

"This doesn't seem safe." She said, looking at Marnik concentrated on the drive.

His eyes snapping in every direction to keep from hitting anything that could drive unwanted attention to them. After all, many zombies were tagging behind them already.

"It isn't." He admitted, "we're ditching the vehicle in this zone... and we'll make a very dangerous escape from it." His knuckles turned white as he squeezed the stirring wheel, "we could make the travel out in less than a day... but I need you to work with me. No complaints just listen until we make it out. Then you can complain all you want."