Chapter 56: Good aim?

Carisa held her breath when the vehicle stopped and the engine was shut. Zombies walking towards them and some already banging at the door.

"Where are you going?" She asked seeing him get up.

"I need to drive their attention elsewhere, I'll get back for you. So stay inside." He closed the door on her leaving her in the driver's area, "I won't take long." He assured.

He turned on his feet to look through a box. Finding a device to create enough noise and attract the zombies to any area. That way he could walk around with her and get out of the area safer. hanging a gun on his hip for safe measures.

Going through the top hatchet he climbed out, watching the zombies pile up trying to get inside. He held the device tightly in his hand. Stepping on zombies on his way down, he began to walk getting a much distance as he could.

Carisa's eyes following him through the crowd of zombies, he looked over them until he was too far away to tell apart from the zombies. Sitting down the zombies slowly calmed down. Seeming to forget what they had been doing, it had been a long time since he'd walked off. Her figure laying on the floor, and looking at the ceiling. Getting sleepy from not being there.

Then a loud sound went off, like an alarm she'd heard before. Quickly getting on her feet she looked out to see eye zombies running towards the noise. Her eyes looking around in a hurry to figure out what it was, and walking opiate to all the running zombies was Marnik. Slowly making his way over, he looked at the floor, his gaze lost like he didn't know where he was going.

She looked out to see zombies were too preoccupied with the sound to even notice the vehicle. She opened the door and quickly went up to the hatchet, hesitating to open it. In the end, she went back down and looked at the door expecting Manrik to walk in. Subconsciously clutching her hand as time passed. She grabbed the bag she'd packed for the trip and put it on.

If they were going to leave the vehicle she needed to get prepared to start running the moment he opened the door.

When it did opening slowly and quietly, Marnik pressed a finger to his lips while holding a hand out for her. She refused and got down quietly, looking around and watching her step. His hand wrapped around her waist and began walking. He looked on edge, staring from one way to the other instead of just quickly running.

"Let's just run." She whispered and looked up, her words going ignored.

Continuing to walk they got to a sudden halt. Marnik's hand pulling her closer as his breath hitched. Following his gaze, she saw dogs, for the first time in over a year she saw dogs. When she squinted her eyes the question popped into her head, why weren't the zombies attacking it?

The dogs didn't seem fazed by the sounds, instead, they sniffed the ground. Their faces turning towards them and instantly Marnik hoisted Carisa in his arms sprinting away from the dogs. Carisa looked over his shoulder to see the dogs run on after them.

"What's wrong with them-" she stopped herself and saw the guts of one of the dogs hanging off from its stomach. She felt her insides turn watching to throw up, "their dead..."

Marnik looked back a second seeing how the dogs were getting closer, he panicked and grabbed the gun on his hips, "Think you have good aim?"

Carisa moved to look at the gun, "I can try..."

Handing her the gun he murmured, "Just shoot if yore sure, we don't want more unwanted attention."

She hesitantly aimed but the way he just kept running and dodging zombies she couldn't keep her hands steady.  pulling the trigger on accident and shooting a zombie instead of the dogs, a few zombies turning towards them instead of the alarm still going off.

Marnik squeezed her slightly as he made an abrupt turn, "I said only shoot if you're sure."

"My hand slipped." she said as Marnik took the gun from her, "I can try again."

"No." his voice sternly as he dug his claws in a tree and climbed up quickly one of the dogs managing to bite his tail before he flung it off. Marnik hissed and settled at a high enough area in the tree, setting Carisa down against the tree.

She looked back at him, seeing the tail miss a chunk of it, "Didn't they just not react to you?"

"Well, that would have been the case, if I didn't smell like you." He sneered, turning her around to take something out of the backpack. Grabbing cloth and wrapping it around his tail tightly and stop the bleeding. He stepped down a branch or two and sighed, "Did you get hurt?"

"I'm fine." She leaned catching a look at him, seeing how he sat with a scowl on his face, the zombies below clawing at the tree. Carisa's hands gripped at the bark of the tree, "You know.. it feels like we just met again."

His gaze turned to her softening when meeting her eyes, "Would that mean you'll forget about all the horrible things I've said?"