Chapter 6: The dead town

She was perplexed, simply couldn't believe that the beast she was running from saved her life. Sure it was a disgusting method but it worked. She felt sticky and slimy all over, curiously looking at him as he scouted the area.

What she really couldn't believe was the fact that zombies could pile up like that! It was a whole new level of danger. She found herself staring at him the longest time, so maybe she could forgive him for being part of the same species that ruined her life. He did save her just now and was trying to get her out of the danger zone.

She wanted to stand up but as soon as she was on her feet he made her sit back down. He was looking at the zombies go crazy with the jacket he had thrown earlier. Tearing it to pieces like some shew toy. Feeling a hand wrap around his he looked at her. She was holding onto him while looking down at the zombies.

He could have easily pushed her off or make her dangle around for his amusement. Staring at her as she did so until she noticed him. Seeing as the zombies had moved on minding their own business he hoisted her up in his arms and started moving.

He'd get her out of harm's way and be on his way. It's not like he could look out for her all day, he had his own things to do. Finally reaching a clearing that was rid of zombies he set her down. Curious as to what she'd do now with no backpack and literally nothing useful.

She seemed frozen staring aimlessly at the clearing, what was she doing he thought. Unknown to him she was trying to piece together what she'd do. Where she would go for the night, the woods was a bad idea and frankly, there was no place around she had seen even remotely useful.

Without anything said he started walking away, she was safe, everything else was up to her. He'd probably just come by and check on how she was doing later that night. Leaving her for the time being.

Staring at him leave she questioned why he was doing it. Why go through the trouble of saving her to ditch her? Moving her head back and forth she ignored those thoughts. If he wasn't staying around she'd just have to fend for herself as she'd done for a long time. She knew that back on the way east there were plenty of houses.

And if the bombs had made as loud a sound as she thought, the place would probably be empty. It was just a few hours away, and it was probably just about midday. She'd make it there nearly risking night time. But it was a risk she'd have to make.

Without wasting time she began her journey. Finding zombies across the way that ran the opposite direction. Nothing she couldn't hide from, by the time she saw the houses the sun was setting. Looking both ways before she began running in their direction. The place was a small town with not that many houses, shops or anything in particular. But it would hopefully have some of the essentials she needed.

The town was empty to her advantage, trying to find any unlocked doors nearby, but the sun was setting and no luck was given. She had one last look around before trying to bust in the best house she found. Kicking the door a few times but with no luck on breaking in. She had already made a ruckus with that so anything that was still lurking around would come. She looked around the house and found a window she could probably bust in through.

Grabbing a decently big rock and throwing it at it. It didn't break but did stay in the roof. Climbing her way up she picked it up again and smashed it on the window until it broke.

Sure it wasn't clean and it wasn't pretty, might get cut while entering but hopefully it had something good inside. She looked inside before going in, trying to smash as many of the glass as she could to enter safely. The houses were intact, she couldn't believe it.

It felt like she'd travel through time when the aliens still weren't around. Looking over the place she found a small child's bag, it looked like a kid lived here before everything happened. She carried the bag with her around the house, the place was messy but it had everything someone would need.

From a comfortable bed to canned goods, windows on all directions, and still locked doors. She'd only have to block the window and it would be perfect. Man, she could stay here a couple of days even. Grabbing a fruit can she bust it open and enjoyed to her hearts' delight.

She didn't even remember canned pineapple to taste this good! She couldn't keep herself from opening another while looking through the house. She found a few clothes that could fit her and instantly got out of her dirty rags. Even taking a new jacket after losing her last one. She could definitely get used to this.