Chapter 40: Where are you?

"He's just two years old." Vasin declared, "I'm sure that if you're as good as Fallyn says, you should be able to handle it." He crossed his arms and laid back on his chair as more alaois came by.

"Well, I can't wait to meet him." Carisa told him noticing the cocky attitude, "When will I meet him?"

He stood up and left the table having Fallyn follow him. Marnik patted her arm to get her attention, "Carisa you need to be careful. Don't test that man, he hates humans as it is."

"I'll be taking care of the kid Marnik, not him." She held his hand, "But how tall is a two-year-old?"

"Half your size."

Carisa's mouth fell open, "Kids are too tall."

Marnik laughed, "Well he might be small, sometimes it takes them longer to get taller. Also..." he leaned in to whisper, "Kids tend to scream a lot when away from their parents, they learn to be calmer and more trusting when their older and thus the strength in our species. "

A question popped into Carisa's head and she leaned towards Marnik whispering, "Doesn't he have a partner? Like Ezhno and Amite."

Marnik looked both ways whispering back, "He lost his partner after the child was born. It was a bad pregnancy, don't ever mention anything about a partner with him."

Carisa lowered her head in understanding, feeling bad for the man. But at least he had his kid, although it didn't sound like he was too happy about things.

Throughout the party, he didn't come towards her again, but many more alaois came to see her. Some of them came with their children and Carisa couldn't help but want to hold them at times when they let her. She was so relieved to see everyone was mostly friendly. Some of them where a little on edge with her but it didn't bother her.

Spending hours greeting and talking to different people Marnik decided it was time to go. Taking her by the hand and walking out, seeing how she waved goodbye to Fallyn and Amil.

"We'll be calling Amite right?" She asked as soon as they were out the door.

"Yes, let's get to the room first." he stared down at her, "Alaois really liked you."

"I'm glad, I was a little worried they wouldn't like me."

He gripped a hand around her, "If they spent like you we would have left the party sooner, I don't like them glaring at you." Marnik stopped in place, "If things don't go well with the kid don't force yourself to have to take care of him. You have to let me know everything. Alright?"

"It'll be fine," she reassured him.

"Carisa..."

"I'll be sure to let you know." saying that to him he continued walking with comfort.

As soon as they were in the room, Marnik was already calling Amite, waiting for her answer. They sat aimlessly beside each other, just waiting for her to answer.

"Hello? How was the party?" Her voice made it through finally.

"It was great." Carisa said, "also I'm taking care of the commander's kid." She mentioned leaving Amite speechless.

Ezhno spoke up in her silence, "So you're taking care of children now? Congrats Carisa, you're becoming part of us."

"It's a shame you couldn't come to the party. Have you arrived at your new location?" Marnik questioned.

"Yeah, we arrived a while ago." Amite came back into the call, "And Carisa, careful with children. Our kids tend to scream if it's someone other than their parents carrying them. Also, they pull hair... I don't really like kids... I'll shut up now."

"Yes, Marnik mentioned it." Carisa laughed, "The only thing weird is how they look at two places at the same time... other than that they're so cute."

"So you've gotten along with everyone?" Amite questioned wanting to hear more details about the party.

Marnik clicked his tongue, "She got along with almost everyone, there's always the few that don't want to even look at her. But everything was great, talked a bunch, presented her to a few people..."

They continued talking about the party for a while, going back and forth sharing details. A certain question stuck in Carisa's head, "Where exactly are you guys?"

Amite hummed a little, "I believe the place was once called Antártida."

"Antártida? Wow, that's far, like really really far. Are you cold?" Carisa wondered if the place even looked any different then from when this crazy zombie infection all started.

"Yes, it's very cold... there are penguins where we're at." Amite went quite a while, "I sent you guys some pictures."

Marnik brought the picture up for Carisa to see, letting her admire it. Continuing his conversation with Amite in his native tongue, "I'd like to speak to you privately."

"Alright, Give me a second... I'm ready."

He stood up and walked into the bathroom, "What exactly happened earlier? You didn't look like yourself."

"It's all fine, you don't need to worry." she tried having him drop the subject.

"So I know Ezhno is beside you so just answer with yes or no. Was your mood caused by the commander?" he gave her quick directions and began making questions.

"no."

"Did Ezhno cause it?"

"... Yes." she was so hesitant saying it, "It was only a small issue, you don't need to worry. Focus on Carisa, she's got to take care of a kid. And... I'll call you another time. Bye Marnik." she hung up on him before he could tell her otherwise.

Walking out to see Carisa with her arms crossed, "You know I wanted to talk to her too."

"Sorry, she had to go. Well, call her tomorrow." He was stepping towards the room when seeing her glare, "I promise."

"Well, what did you even talk about?" Carisa asked out of curiosity.

"Oh an old joke... I'll tell you someday. For now, it's late, let's go to sleep." With that, he dragged her into the room and shut the door.