Chapter Sixty Four

12 years ago

There are the standard cases. The ones you forget as soon as they're over. Gruesome murders, domestic violence- these are the types of things we see every single day. The things most don't even blink an eye at.

Every now and then- like the one I recently cracked, there's one that stands out. A murder so gruesome that even the most experienced agents feel like throwing up, or an individual that's been tortured so much they can't speak. This, however- falls under none of those categories.

I keep playing back the moment I found the bombs, and the look of horror on my face when I realized just how serious it was. Those involved- though at the moment we believe it's just one or two, were planning another 9/11 style attack- but more deadly. At least eleven thousand people would have perished if they were lucky, thousands more in the area would have been injured. My intuition saved all of them. Since that day I've been working- however reluctantly, with The president and the heads of different investigative departments. It's taken some getting used to as I do better working alone- but it's not that bad, I guess.

The president's put in a word with the director of the FBI to accelerate my top-clearance classes so that I can potentially start working in the White House instead of with them- but I doubt I'd take the offer when presented. The president doesn't need to know that, though.

I sit now, outside of New York's Supreme Court, waiting my turn for a meeting with the Chief Justice. I need permission, for a case I'm working on- to look into the senators finances. If I presented my case before the court as a whole, it would take months. The Chief Justice, at least in New York, has the authority to give special investigative permits with a snap of his fingers.

  "Lauren Wells." His assistant calls my name, and I immediately jump up. Not that it matters- but his office is a lot smaller than I would've expected.

  "Chief Tartal- thank you for your time." I nervously stay standing.

  "Just a part of my job." He shrugs. "Your request says that you need a special permit to investigate the Senator? Why exactly?"

  I clear my throat. "A couple of months ago I was handed a case involving one of her kids. I've got all the details in this file- but basically, from what I found, they're  running some sort of money laundering scheme with the 'non-profit' they own. I need access to the senators bank statements."

  He sighs, grabbing his reading glasses from the table behind him and holding his hand out for the file. "This is all circumstantial evidence."

  "Well yes, but-"

  "I can't get you the permit until you give me something solid."

  "Chief, we've worked together before. Have I ever been wrong?"

  "That doesn't matter." He shakes his head. "I can't play favorites, it's unconstitutional."

  Godamnit. I turn to leave, silently planning on asking Ethan to do it anyways.

  "Lauren-" he says. "Don't even think about it."

————————————

  The poor kid at the stand now looks fucking terrified. He can't be older than twenty or heavier than a hundred pounds at the most. When I'd started getting my head back, they briefed me on how everything happened. The people that worked behind the scenes, and the innocent bystanders- like him.

  From what I understand, the four or five people that became aware of the plan and refused to get involved were killed. This kid was damn lucky.