Chapter Sixty Six

Christ what a year.

  Kyle's administration won't be one of those that nobody remembers, that's for sure. Even from the beginning, he was far from a Harrison or a Van Buren. The next six or so hours will be the last before he publicly resigns from office.

  We've discussed it for a few days- and for both of our mental stabilities, have decided it's the best thing for us. He started off as a school board official, loving his job. As time went on, he started loving the official duties less and less and started focusing on the good changes he could make. As the governor, he was a pretty decent advocate, but as a Senator, he really got into activism.

  And I think it was about time america had a president like him, but he's done the job he came here to do; unite the nation by bringing the country as a whole to a socially liberal point of view. He changed the minds of so many who had never voted for a liberal in their lives- let alone one who was also bisexual and an independent that speaks out against the two party system that controlled and ruined our country for so long.

  Now we can finally relax. Our public life will never truly be over, so there's no point in even trying to become private citizens- but at least we'll be able to move at a slower pace now. Wake up  and go sleep
together every morning like we used to. Take our sweet time getting ready, and maybe- if we're lucky, be allowed to drive ourselves somewhere. Officially there's a rule that current and former presidents and their spouses are not allowed to drive for the rest of their lives, but out of the public view, that's a different story.

  I remember Ella telling me that her dad- who was secret service during the Clinton administration, was in the car with bill when he drove himself. There were rules, of course- like with everything presidents are allowed to do. If it was on a public road, which was rarely allowed, it still had to be in a vehicle in the motorcade. There had to be a minimum of two agents in the car, and one in the front passenger seat in case anything went wrong. The windows- side, back, and front were tinted so that they could see out clearly and nobody could see in.

  This will- just like the day I was kidnapped, or the day Marisol was inaugurated as the first female Vice President, or the day the healthcare amendment was added to the constitution, be a historical day, because while Marisol was never technically elected, the people do like her enough- and she'll be the first female president of the United States. It may only be for a few months, but still. She'll also be the second youngest president ever, sandwiched in between Kyle and JFK.

  There's a knock at the door. "Come in!" I answer, and in walks one of the interns I plucked off of the long list of possibilities to be my personal assistant. "What is it?"

  "David Miller was in the building meeting with the Vice President and asked if he could see you while he's here." She informs me.

  He's not exactly at the top of the list of people I want to see, but I can't hate him either. Kyle and I both did..some things while we were broken up. A shiver runs up my body. I don't even want to think about that time period. If I hadn't been so stubborn, it never would've happened in the first place. Looking back on the fight that slowly built up, it was my fault. He and I have agreed not to talk about that one month that happened years ago, because it's such a painful memory for both of us. The mere thought that we almost lost each other because we were both being stupid fucking idiots, though it was mostly me, is painful.

David did absolutely nothing wrong. Neither did Kyle. "Okay- where is he?" I ask the intern.

  "He's in the fourth floor sitting room right now." She replies. "Finishing up that meeting."