Chapter Two

TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING

"You have fifty days to give us what we want. If, by that time, you haven't done what we ask of you, she will be executed ." With the end of the video, all of the screens fill with static.

   The next few seconds seems to move in slow motion.  She will be executed... She will be executed... She will be executed... "Mr. president the entire security network just went down-"Our security guy starts to say before the power cuts off.

  "Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck." I think. "Get the generators up now."

  "On it,sir-" Another says. "Uhm, Sir- none of the phones or walkie talkies are working." My eyes widen, In this moment I am powerless. Then I finally understand- fuck. I start running faster than I ever have, my secret service following me the entire time, shouting  that it isn't safe for me to be outside right now. I'm never safe anywhere, of course, right now I'm only worried about one person. I shove an agent that's standing in front of the residence doors out of the way, and start shouting her name. "Lauren! Laurenn!!" This can't be happening- She's the First Lady. I refuse to believe that this is even possible.

"Can you explain to me how the hell you lost the First Lady of the United States in the middle of the biggest hack we've ever seen?!" I slam my hand on a table, startling the agent.

"My job was to guard the door, sir- and I did just that-"

"GODAMNIT!! MY WIFE IS A FIGHTER AND YOU'RE TELLING ME YOU DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING?!"

"The residence is sound proof, sir." The lights come back on, and the agent frantically turns his walkie talkie on too. "This is a code red- yes, damnit!! Code red!! The eagle is M.I.A!"

  My eyes widen, and then I remember something. "The escape hall."
———-Lauren Wells's P.O.V.————

  I close the door, more confused now than ever. From the panicked voices of the agents, there's been some sort of attack. I pull out my phone to text my mother, only to realize it won't turn on. Great. Just great. I try to think about it logically-I'm in the most secure building in the world, it can't be that serious.

  Then the power goes out. Well fuck. James enters through the inside door, and starts speaking so quickly I can barely understand him. "Ma'm, I need you to come with me, now."

"Why-"

"No time to explain." He pulls out a very specific flower from a vase on the shelf, and the shelf opens to reveal the evacuation passage that the previous president had built just in case. As we walk silently in the dark, cramped hallway, I can feel my heartbeat quickening, and a panic attack coming on.

"Not now. Not here." I say to my own brain as my breathing becomes irregular. I try to force myself to breath normally, but it's no use, and only makes it worse.

"Do you have any of the medicine?" James stops for just a second, and I nod my head no.

"Okay- fuck. Lauren I'm really sorry but you have to keep walking." He urges me to get up but I feel like I can't breathe, so he sighs and picks me up, carrying me the rest of the way, and being careful not to bump my head on the walls.

The hallway leads to an extremely large room underground containing a delta plane so as to not draw suspicion during the event that something like this were to happen. Once inside, he places me down and makes eye contact for only a second, as if he feels bad about something.