Chapter Sixty Nine

Three Weeks Later

"She'll adjust just fine." I assure Kyle. "She just.. lost everything she'd ever known just a few months ago. Give it time."

I turn over, flipping my bedside lamp on. I've missed sleeping in this bed. Here, nobody waltzes in while we're sleeping to pull him into the situation room or command opps. Here- he still had constant security, but they're less annoying now that he's not the sitting President. There was one time last week where somebody tried to jump our fence, but their intentions were not deadly. They just wanted to talk- which of course, didn't stop them from getting shot or the trespassing charge. Idiot. We make it a point to talk to the public any time we leave the house- as long as Mina's not with us.

She was probably treated better than any other female human in that country, as the favorite child of the crowned prince, but she was still conditioned from the day she was born that women are supposed to be quiet and subservient. So whichever palace servant did their best to teach her otherwise- I thank. There are times when she has the look on her face like "I'm allowed to do that?"

The first was when we hired a tutor for her. The first thing out of her mouth was "I thought women weren't supposed to do math". She's quickly catching up to the idea that she can do or be whatever the fuck she wants. I can see her turning into an Ally Feinstein 2.0.

She's only eighteen, but she's already made her mark on this world through climate change and equality activism in countries where it's still dangerous for her to do so. Last week, she won her mayoral election- making her the youngest sitting, elected mayor in fifty years.

Sure- there have been a few instances where young school board directors and county secretary of states have been appointed to fill seats after the death of a mayor, but this is unprecedented. Even Kyle didn't win his seat until he was twenty two. If anybody's going places in life, it's her.

"Besides.. she hasn't exactly had the best experiences with men." I shrug.

"I understand that but I've shown nothing but love-"

"No, you don't understand. Still." I interrupt. "You may care but you will never understand what it's like to be kidnapped from the most secure building in the world or for the most dangerous, misogynistic homophobic terrorist in the world to be your biological father-"

"Mommy?" Mina knocks on the open door, standing in the doorway. Shit. "Im hungry."

"Uhm oh... okay-" I stand up, kissing her on the forehead. "Shakshuka again?" She nods. Her tastebuds usually prefer the type of cuisine she's been eating since she was an infant. I don't blame her- middle eastern food is fucking delicious.

My mouth waters at the thought of some of the things she's asked our chef to make the past few weeks.Tabouleh, Foul Meddamas... the list goes on and on. My favorite was this dish that she said the maid used to make all the time; a rice and beans one with an ingredients and spices list as long as my arm.

I grab the wall phone that connects to one in the kitchen, and our chef immediately picks up. "The usual?" He asks.

"Yep." I say. "Go ahead, Mina. I'll be down in a second."

When she goes, I close the door, turning back around to look at Kyle. "You're good at that-" he sighs. "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing."

  "Does anybody really?" I shrug, plopping back down beside him. He pulls me towards him, and I lay my head on his chest. The bare skin on our arms and legs touches, and he gives me the look. I laugh, shaking my head. "Not now."