Chapter Sixty Five

Today is the final day of the trial. All across the country- the world really, there's an incredible sense of relief that something so barbaric will finally receive it's last bits of justice. There are a couple of people up for sentencing today, but there's one that stands out the most to me:

  Prince Ahmad.

  The one behind it all. I doubt the judge'll be as lenient in his sentencing as she was with James, since the prince- at no point, attempted to correct his actions. A part of me still wonders why he did it, since he's given one bullshit answer after another, none of which would motivate anybody to plan something this big.

  "The president accidentally man-slaughtered somebody when he was thirteen." Yeah, no shit. If that was the reason, and you were going to use it to try and ruin his career or approval rating, why not just anonymously present the evidence to the media? They would've run with it before even fact checking- except, as much as I hate her- Meg Haines. The Godamn genius that figured it out on her own.

  "The president's the reason my boyfriend is dead." I can imagine the Princess saying, and shake my head. No- your shitty security and him being a good person is the reason he's dead.

  "The president's uncle paid poll workers an exorbitant amount of money during his school board election to tally the votes in his favor." There's no denying that one. It's just a simple fact, and he got quite the earful when I found out about that, from me and the American people. But he insists, to this day, that he had nothing to do with it, and I believe him.

  Something about the prince's motives don't sit right with me. Sure- he kidnapped me and that's plenty enough reason for me to want to cut his dick off, but I still want to know the real reason behind it. People don't just wake up with such a hatred for somebody that they plot their kidnapping- that's not how life works.

  I can't wait to see the look on his face when I walk into the courtroom like this.

  As a final fuck you to him and his conservatism in what is probably the second to last time anybody will ever see him again, I told Kendra to design the skankiest court appropriate outfit she possibly could.

The black pencil skirt stops way above my knee. The polka-dotted top has a plunging neckline, and I'm only wearing the blazer because it's fucking freezing.

  "Ready?" Kyle says from the bedroom, and I nod. I walk straight into his embrace, and for a few seconds, we stay like that. "He'll get what he deserves. I can promise you that."

  I raise an eyebrow.

  "Shit that came out wrong didn't it?"

  "Yep." I reply. "Would it be absolutely ridiculous for us to just make out right now since we're already late?"

  "Ah- the president's family is never late." He smiles, and it's a contagious one. So we do, until an agent knocks on the door to let us know we're twenty minutes "later" than we should be.Oops.

As we board the helicopter, there's a sense of relief even among staffers and the pilot- because this will be the last day this trip is taken for this purpose. "Everybody strapped in?" The pilot asks, pressing the buttons I can't even begin to understand to start it up when I nod yes.

  My heart starts beating fast again, but I quickly slow it down. I will not have a panic attack today. The crowds are even larger today than they were on the first, so when the helicopter lands on the roof, it's directly in front on the door. We're ushered in immediately, and have about ten minutes to talk to the lawyers and prepare for what's expected to be the longest court day yet. While everybody else is chugging tumblers full of coffee and eating the breakfast sandwiches some intern brought in, we sit down with Joe, knowing we're not allowed to touch the food under any circumstances.