Chapter Thirty Eight

Kylie's P.O.V
                                3 years ago

Well fuck.

I sink back into the bed with sweat dripping from my forehead and every other part of my body. With the sheets damp and my legs already sore, I can tell walking's not gonna be too fun the rest of the week. Oh well.

I stand up, ignoring the aches, and go to my bathroom that feels especially empty. Having just moved into this place a week ago, I don't have a lot of furniture. It's not that I can't afford it- I'm just too lazy to order any and don't feel like dealing with an interior designer yet. I try to quickly brush through my hair, but there's a tangle about the size of my fist, so I end up spending over ten minutes just trying to get it out. I join him back in my bedroom, settling into his arms. We could stay like this for hours but I have work in two, so after about thirty minutes I rise again.

He grabs my arm, trying to pull me back down. "Adrian -" I laugh. "I can't be late on my first day working for the White House. That'd be a one way ticket to getting fired, even with Kyle Wells."

"So?" Adrian shrugs. "You're smart. You've headed the staff of three senators, you'll always be able to find a job."

"Not if I get fired from the White House." I reply. "Let me go." He brings out a giggle that nobody else can. When I'm finally able to get away from him, I throw on a pantsuit, and hairspray my hair into place.

"Bye!" I awkwardly yell to Adrian as I head out the door. I'm fortunate enough to be able to live literally across the street from the White House- so I'll be able to walk every day. The secret service at the gate are trained to memorize the faces, birthmarks and scars of high ranking government officials down to the exact shade, so that in the event of a crisis they could quickly look at those and let us through instead of spending five minutes looking at our ID'S.

For me, that identifying feature is a small scar on my inner wrist that you wouldn't notice unless you knew what to look for. The agents on shift today ask to see both, as this is my first day, and they don't quite have every detail of my face memorized yet. In the past, this wouldn't have been an issue. We could've just showed our Id's and went on our way, but a few years ago the director of communications doppelgänger was able to infiltrate the White House. Now they have to be extra cautious, even though the chances of that happening again are almost zero.

After I get through the gates without issue, I quickly show it to those at the door I enter through, finally making it into the west wing. Immediately, the chaos of working in the White House Hits me. "Ms. Rose the Indian ambassador is requesting a meeting-"An aide says.

"And the Secretary of State. And the senate majority leader and the president of France and i have paperwork to do. Which one's the most pressing?" I interrupt.

"Well, the Secretary of State seemed pretty insistent." The aide replies. "Said it had something to do with the British ambassador."

  "Okay-you hold off the senate majority leader and get somebody else to do today's paperwork. Also, tell the president of France that I'll be able to speak to him in about twenty minutes."

  "Yes ma'am." The aid hurries off to do what I just told her to. The White House is a stressful place to be, whether you're the dishwasher or the president, so everybody's constantly doing something.

The Secretary of State has worked different positions under five presidents, while this is the first time I've held a position in the White House, so I'm not exactly looking forward to this meeting. Even Kyle has said that he can be arrogant, but gets things done quickly- so that's why he hired him again.

  "You wanted to talk to me?" I knock on his office door.

  "Yes- sit down." He says. "I need you to tell the British ambassador to chill the fuck out."

  "Is... is that all, Mr.Secretary?" I ask. He nods. "Okay-why?"

  "That moron pissed off the president of Iran during his visit and now Iran's military is threatening action." He replies, typing something into the secured google docs a few members of the cabinet share.

  "Action- like war?!"

  "Yep." The Secretary of State says, barely listening to me now. Shit. From the ambassadors' schedule- he's supposed to be in command opps for the next few hours and then the embassy until about seven.

  I swipe my access card, marching straight into command opps. "We need to talk." I grab his arm, dragging him away from a meeting with the military generals. "What the fuck did you say to Iran's president? Do you have any idea-"

  "That dickwad deserved it. The way he was talking to his wives was disgusting." Ambassador Felix interrupts.

  "It still wasn't your place to insult the president!! Jesus fuck do you have any idea what you just caused?!"

  "I'm well aware-"

  "Are you? Because we've finally started a peaceful relationship with Iran and you may have just ruined it." I reply.

  The rest of the day is as chaotic as the morning. I'm pulled in a million different directions at once, always thinking about who I have to deal with next while I'm dealing with another person. I finally get to leave around midnight- with things to do the rest of the week already planned out.

  I kick my shoes off in front of my door, my feet now aching too. "Well it's about time." Adrians voice makes me jump. "You've kept me waiting long enough."

  "You're still here?" I say.

  "Yep- and here's what you're going to do." He presses a gun to my head. "You're going to sit the fuck down and listen."

  "Adrian- what are you doing?"

  "I'll ask the questions." He chuckles. "You don't have any living family members, is that correct?"

  "Why do you-"

  "Is that correct?"

  "Well, yes but-"

  "Good. Here's how this is going to go." He shows that there's only one bullet in the gun. "You will answer every single question I ask you for the rest of forever honestly, you will tell us everything we want to know and if you do not know the answer you'll find it out. For each time that you lie to us, I will pull the trigger on this gun. If it ever reaches the bullet, you're dead."

  "Who the fuck is us, Adrian?! And where is this coming from-"

  "You don't need to know that." He tosses a Nokia at me. "Just know that you will be rewarded with a substantial amount of cash if you do exactly what we tell you to. If you are loyal, we may even give you a promotion in a few years."

  "If you think I'm just going to go along with whatever-"

  "Oh, I know you will, Kylie. You like money more than you like yourself. And don't even think about going to the police." He says. "Because if you do, we will know."