Chapter Twenty Two

"Kyle what the fuck-" My campaign manager says. "You are going to be on that stage in thirty minutes and this is all you've got?"

"Well I was going to go for the whole human being thing-" I shrug. "Since that's always worked before."

"Okay but this isn't a mayorial or governor seat you're running for! If you want to snatch up a senate seat you are going to have to become a fucking ruthless politician wether you like it or not." She yells. "You might as well just concede if you won't talk about all of the fucked up things the incumbent has done. You'll get more votes if you draw people in to vote against her and not just for you."

"That's slander and I am not doing that period. People can read- they know how fucking useless she is, we don't have to tell them-"

"Repeating it'll really cement their hatred for her policies and bring over people that are teetering on the edge of voting for you."

"Lolita NO. That is my final answer." I say. I refuse to become a politician, regardless of if it costs me the election. "I'm not going to become like her."

"That's the thing-" she shakes her head. "You're nothing like her. We had a mole in her opponents campaign the first time around. That was the only reason we won it to begin with."

  "Isn't that illegal-"

  "Only if you get caught." She shrugs. "It gave us an advantage. Look, the point is she didn't hesitate at all to do whatever it took. She was a fucking bitch-You actually have a conscience."

  "Gee, thanks." I say. "Now, since my speech is so bad, what do you suggest?"

  "See if Lauren can get over here. Everybody seems to love her."

  "I would but she's busy- she's holed herself up in her office working on a case."

  Then tell her to un-hole herself. We need her here."

  "Lolita she is a federal agent, I can't ask her to abandon a case she's working on because I fucked up." I reply.

  "Well I guess we're both fucked then."

——

I peek through the doors that lead out to where my speech will be, stunned by the size of the crowd. As they go through the line, each person gets wanded down as a standard security measure. Lolita makes a short introduction speech, the  "I've know him and if you did too" type, and then it's time for me to come out. I sigh, knowing I'm not as prepared for this one as I should be, and walk out to the podium.

  "Thank you- thank you all for coming." I say. "As I stand here today, a historic election is taking place. For the first time in over fifty years, there will be no democratic candidate running for the senate in the state of New York. There is the incumbent, a strong republican who has let her personal beliefs get in the way of accurately representing the people of New York, and then there's me. I have no party affiliation. It has always been and always will be that way if I am elected. I will work for the good of the people and on issues that matter over any party- regardless of the problems my independence has given me in regards to funding my campaign, because the people deserve somebody who will represent without a party. Somebody who supports basic human rights and will reverse the policies of the incumbent. Somebody who believes it's none of their damn business what you choose to do with your body, because it's not. Somebody who will vote for and not against the housing the homeless act which is set for a vote one week after the election. The point is the people of New York deserve somebody who cares about each and every one of you, not just the few fortunate ones." I pause for a second, taking a sip of water.

  "And I'll be the first to admit that I am one of the fortunate ones, but I did not come out of the womb with money. I've worked my ass off so hard that I barely get sleep anymore- but it shouldn't be that way for anybody. Nobody should have to choose between four hours of sleep and taking up another shift at work so you could pay for a college class before the deadline, which I had to worry about hundreds of times in college. I will vote for the free college program set for a vote three months after the election- can't say the same about my opponent. You see, she was born into a family where her father's net worth is seventy two million dollars. She's never, not once, worried about where her next meal was going to come from. Again, that alone is not the issue. The issue is her ignorance to those who do. Her refusal to acknowledge that not everybody has a million dollars just sitting in the bank account at all times. As your Senator, I will continue to do the same I have done as your governor; advocate for the rights of all people, regardless of where you come from."

"Holy shit that was- that was actually amazing."

"But?" I raise an eyebrow, knowing Lolita doesn't give compliments without criticism.

"I mean it could've used a little more slander but we'll work on that. Come on, let's celebrate." She says.

"What are we celebrating?" Lauren asks, just now arriving. She's wearing the same clothes form yesterday, looks exhausted and stressed out, even more than usual.

  "The speech-" I reply. "What's wrong?"

  "Oh I'm fine its just-" she goes to grab a water bottle off of the table,  and stumbles as she is barely able to hold onto it. "I'm just really fucking tired-got the case solved though. Nothing I'm not used to."

  "Okay-" I nod. "I'll drive us home." She presses her keys into my hand, not arguing.

  "Hey-" I call one of our campaign interns over. "Whenever you have the time today, could you drive my car over to our house?"

  "O-of course, governor." He says. "That's what I'm here for."

  "Good-" I hand him my keys. "Just don't crash the thing."