Chapter Fifteen

Kyle's P.OV

"How much longer, Ethan?"

  "Less than a minute." He replies. "I activated her bodycam and mic."

The room is nearly silent as she lands. We're all waiting- though we don't say it, for something disastrous to happen.

Hello Miss-" One of them shakes her hand. "I am the children's head of security. I'll be accompanying you to America."

  "Thank you, but that won't be necessary. Where are they?" Aileen replies.

  "Still packing- and I go everywhere with them. No exceptions. I'll escort you to them-" He chuckles. "Although it's not like you need me to."

"Let's put the past behind us. I work for the United States government now. "

"Oh Aileen-" he shakes his head. "Stupid, stupid Aileen. You are a fool if you think we're letting you leave this place again."

"Damnit-" I say. "Put me through."

—-3 years ago—

"Good morning, Mr. president."

"Good Morning, Madam First Lady." Day two. I've been the president of the United States for two days and it still doesn't feel real. I never would've gotten here without her. She took over campaign stops and decisions whenever something came up in the senate that I had to deal with, Even towards the end of the trail when she started feeling like shit.

Her recovery's been difficult- she won't slow down, won't take it easy like the doctor recommended for a couple of months, so she's torn her stitches multiple times.

She gazes into my eyes in a way that would be awkward with anybody else, but because it's her- we could stay like this forever. My arm around her back, holding her close, her head on my chest. We almost never go to sleep without holding each other, though I have a feeling we won't have much of a choice for a couple of years. She gives me the look, and I shake my head. "No- not yet." I laugh.

  "Please."

  "Maybe next month if you'll actually start listening to the doctors."

  "Fineee." She reaches over to her nightstand, too quickly- to grab her glasses, forgetting that seven of the stitches are fresh, and tries to wipe the grimace from her face in less than a second.

  "Seriously- take it easy. Nobody expects you to jump straight into the first lady's duties when you had a major surgery just a couple of months ago."

  "I do." She sighs. "I hate this; I can barely fucking move."

  "Mr.President-"Kylie knocks on the outside door. "You're needed in command opps."

  "It's okay- go." Lauren says.

  "I can come back here for an hour around lunch." I plant a kiss on her forehead.

  "No you can't-" she sits up, slowly this time. "You have a lunch date with the Ethiopian ambassador. I'll see you after work, Mr. president."

  "I love you-"

  "I love you too- now shoo. Go be the president."

  I throw one of the suits on that was designed by Kendra and modified to be fully bulletproof, and join Kylie outside. "What is it?"

  "A twelve year old girl went missing in  Ethiopia while on vacation with her parents."

  "Was she kidnapped?"