Cherry Popsicles

Requested by @loli-weebchan

genre-modern au, tall reader

ray's pov

characters are aged up to 23

"(y/n)! I'm home!" I said as I walked through the doors. I dropped my work bag on the red leather armchair adjacent to the foyer. She didn't answer so she was probably sleeping or something.

My guess was correct, for (y/n) was lightly snoring on the couch, while a gray fleece blanket hanged off her leg. The television was still on, so I think she fell asleep while watching her shows. I turned it off. 

(y/n) is my girlfriend of 7 months. I had a crush on her since last year of college when I saw her in the library as an assistant. So when I invited her for coffee for the first time, I felt really excited when she accepted.

We hit it off immediately and became fast friends. She has a really nice laugh too. In addition, (y/n) is also roommates with Anna, another one of my acquaintances. (y/n) and I had chemistry.

I remember when I asked (y/n) out one day. It was really embarrassing, for I just blurted it out randomly. She made that same tinkling laugh, so I thought she assumed that I was just joking around. However, she nodded excitedly, saying that she had feelings for me too, and I realized that she knew I was serious. I felt like the luckiest guy in the world. 

We took things slow at first, going at our own pace. We went on library dates and shopped together too. She doesn't disappoint, and she makes everything seem a whole lot more interesting.

But sometimes, there's this little voice in my head whispering that I wasn't good enough for her. (y/n) is taller than me, and the more outgoing in our relationship. And usually, when you see typical college romances, guys give hugs from behind around the neck. I kind of can't do that because here's the thing. I can't even reach her neck.

So I get scared of the possibility that she's unsatisfied with me? I hate to think about it, but there's a lot of other guys on the campus that could probably suit her needs better. I try not to ponder about that small feeling, but it's always there in the back of my mind, waiting to be let out. 

"Ray? Is that you?" (y/n) said sleepily. She slowly sat up, the blanket completely falling off her. I quickly picked it up and placed it next to her. "Sorry, I fell asleep so I didn't know you were here already."

"It's alright, I know you've been tired," I said kissing her cheek. I had to go on my tip-toes to reach her, but she didn't mind nonetheless. Or I hope she didn't mind. 

"So how was work?" she asked, walking to the kitchen. She opened our freezer and got a cherry popsicle. She then came back down to the couch.

"More hectic than usual," I answered walking to get myself a pint of mint chocolate ice cream. Since it was summertime, we stocked up on as many frozen desserts as we can afford. "The hot season always brings a lot of new customers."

"Well I'm proud," she replied, red fruit juice dripping down her fingers. "Proud that you're able to do this, even with all your other responsibilities."

I smiled. "When did I deserve such an amazing girlfriend?" I asked, sitting next to her. 

She shrugged and grinned. "I was always here, and always supporting from the sideline,"(y/n) said back. She turned the television back on and swiftly switched through the group of shows until she picked one. A documentary about English playwrights. 

Even in the performance, the male leads are lanky and persuading. When they stage-kiss, they lean in, not lean upwards. My face must've shown some sort of frustration because (y/n) soon asked me if I was okay.

"Ray? You alright?" she asked, concerned. She paused the documentary and looked at me. 

"Do you think, that, I'm a good partner?" I inquired. "Sorry, that kinda uh, that kinda came out weirdly." 

She giggled. "It's fine. And yeah, you're the best partner in the world," she answered. "Why?"

I sighed. "Because when I look at the definition of a perfect couple, the guy is almost always taller than the girl. And sometimes I wonder if I let you down."

She nodded slowly, taking in my words. "Ray, your perfectly fine the way you are. I mean, I wouldn't have accepted if I didn't like you in the first place." 

Her sentences assured me. "And besides, you being shorter has a few perks, like this!" she stated as she tackled me into a gigantic embrace. 

I exclaimed as she hugged me closely. Her fingers were stained magenta from the popsicle she ate earlier. 

"I love you, a lot really," she whispered. She buried her face into my chest. "And I'm sorry if you felt that way."

"It's okay, I'm glad we're all caught up," I said under my breath. We stayed in that position on the couch for a long time.

I think I accidentally drifted off because I woke up around 11:30 pm, so I decided to get a drink of water. I walked upstairs, leaving the blanket on the couch. (y/n) was already sleeping on our bed, so I slid next to her. 

I watched her peaceful face and held her hand gently, so she'll have a sweet surprise when she wakes up the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, this was requested by @loli-weebchan. Thank you for reading!

Hope you all enjoyed this one-shot and thank you for 18k reads

Have a great day/night!