Romance Manga

Requested by Danganronpa-Somethin

genre-high school modern au, fluff

Ray's pov

(y/n)'s always reading those cheesy romance manga.

Every week, she walks through the library, looking for something new to read. It varied depending on how she felt. For example, if she felt excited, she would read some heart-racing series, whereas if she felt sad, she would read some depressing volume where the love interest dies of some incurable disease.

"Why do you even like reading those?" I asked her one day. (y/n)'s hands were full with the newest volumes of Horimiya.

"Because if I never find the perfect person that I'll spend the rest of my life with, at least I'll have a general idea of what falling in love feels like," she answered assuredly. It was like she had her statement ready, to begin with.

The perfect person, huh? I thought.

She walked away that day, laughing. I wondered if she was aware of the people around her, for if her claim was true, she could possibly be the densest person there ever was.

One day later

Norman was at my house studying. He himself read romance manga, and he particularly liked this one series called Love is War. In fact, he can't shut up about it.

"So the main character kind of has feelings for the council president but is too prideful to confess to him. The same goes for Shirogane, and it evolves from there. You know, the funny thing is that I can never find the exact volume I need whenever I go buy mangas," he rambled as I tried to tune him out.

"Norman?" I said, catching his attention. He looked up from his work. He hummed in response.

"Have you read Horimiya?" I inquired, trying to be discreet. He was definitely a smart person, and my sentence can certainly evoke some questions.

"Yeah, of course," he answered. "I watched the anime first, though. Why do you ask?"

"No reason," I replied quickly. "I was thinking of getting into romantic novels, as the ones (y/n) reads. Do you have any recommendations?"

"Wow, are you thinking of impressing her?" he teased. "You're bold. You can start with Your Name. It's not that hard to finish, and the movie is amazing."

Right. This is the one that Norman and Emma watched on their first date. The one that Emma took a video of him bawling in tears.

"Is this the one about comets and switching bodies?" I wondered out loud. "Seems more sci-fi to me."

"Just watch or read it," he suggested. "You won't regret it."

Three days later

I did watch it. I did read it. And did I cry? Yes. Did I laugh? Also yes. Will I ever watch it again? Probably.

I resulted in loving Your Name so much that I actually binge-read all of Makoto Shinkai's mangas at once online. They weren't as long, and the stories were nice.

I told Emma about it, and she shrieked in delight.

"I'm so excited that you started watching romance anime! I had first thought you wouldn't enjoy it, but I'm glad you did," she stated. "We can all have marathons now."

I laughed and agreed. "Let me just finish something first, and I'll get back to you."

Norman said he'll help me with this. He was the love expert and was the one who was recommending Your Lie in April, Fruits Basket, Snow White with the Red Hair, and more.