A Child's Joy

(This was requested by @snowyowl167.)

genre-modern au, slight angst

(here ray is 26 years old)

(Keep in mind that there is cursing, so word of warning.)

(Ray's pov)

"I'm sorry."

That was the last thing (y/n) ever said to me. A few minutes earlier, she asked if we could go to the tall hill in the park, where we first met when we were kids because she wanted to tell me something. I watched as she couldn't meet my eyes and kept wringing her hands.

(y/n) is my girlfriend. Well WAS my girlfriend. You see, the thing she wanted to tell me was that she wanted to break up with me. I was slightly taken aback at first but realized I shouldn't be surprised.

It was going to happen eventually. At first, us dating seemed out of this world. We both enjoyed it, and each other. Everything went smoothly, until our first fight.

Fights in relationships are usually normal, to say the least. Like you can't expect your significant other to agree with every single thing you say.

But soon, one thing led to another, and conflicts developed into something far more than both of us.

Our first fight was about four months ago, and it was because I came way later than I should have come home. (y/n) and I lived together as well because we were both adults. She was pretty angry at me, and we didn't speak to each other for a week.

Our second fight happened two months ago. This time it was, well I wanna say (y/n)'s fault. She left the pasta pot running, so the stove quickly burned through all our food and half our kitchen. I was pissed off, and she kept quiet. We both paid the bills to fix the kitchen, but here we didn't interact the whole time.

Our last fight happened yesterday. Last night. For the last eight months or so, I was kind of cheating on (y/n) with a woman I met at work, who was also my childhood friend. Anna. We met at her house on her days off, and when (y/n) was working, I snuck her over at my place.

Apparently, Anna told her coworker Emma. She was pretty surprised to find out I was dating someone. But the thing is, Emma thought I was in a relationship with Anna, instead of (y/n).

Emma told Norman, and she said she was really happy that I finally found someone. Norman narrowed his eyes at her. She asked why, but he didn't respond.

Norman was (y/n)'s closest friend. They knew each other from elementary school. He knew that she was dating me, not Anna. And Norman, being a smartass, found out I was cheating on her. He told (y/n) in secret and when I came home, she slapped me so hard my face stung.

"YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN MIND!" she yelled. "YOU REALLY THOUGHT I WOULDN'T FIND OUT, RIGHT RAY?"

I was confused at first but quickly figured out once she showed me a screenshot of her and Norman's text.

And in that little conversation, it proclaimed the news I tried so hard to hide away from her. That bastard, I thought. Pretty soon, my emotions started taking over me, and I couldn't think straight.

"Yeah, so what if I was cheating on you for eight months?! I screamed. "Anna's prettier, smarter, and way more dependable than you'll ever be!"

She looked like she was about to shout back, but her mouth closed in a straight line. "Anna?" she whispered, barely audible.

Oh shit. I forgot Anna was (y/n)'s best friend after Norman. "That traitor." I heard her mutter.

She sighed and the way she glared at me was enough to make a fly drop dead on the ground.