White Day

Requested by glass_owl

genre-fluff, high school modern au

(Ray's pov)

It's been a while since Valentine's Day. 

Last month, I received countless things from people, including a bunch of letters from my locker. But one of the most memorable things I have gotten was a small Polaroid picture that was attached to a key ring. It was a little gift from (y/n), but to me, it was one of the best things I received. 

Tomorrow is White Day or where students who received presents on Valentine's give back. I've thought about it over the past two weeks, and I wanted to do something nice for her, so I decided to treat her for dinner. 

To be honest, White Day seemed really overrated. It was just a rip-off Valentine's Day in my opinion. But the thing is, I felt a little jealous of some of the people in my school. It just stung a bit about how I would see everyone in couples on February 14, so I made it my mission to at least ask (y/n) out before the day ends. 

I spotted her chatting with Anna beside the cafeteria entrance as I walked past the corridors. They seemed to be waving goodbye, so I found my chance to talk to her. 

"Hi, (y/n), is it okay-" I started, as I went toward her. But as I was about to approach her, Don came out of nowhere and started talking to her about the grammar test in our next block. I silently cursed under my breath. 

Crap, I thought. Maybe next time

Time skip to lunch

There was no "next time." Every time I tried even saying hi to (y/n), someone always came to her first. I groaned as I thunked my head against a library shelf. What do I do now?

"Ray, uh, are you okay?" I heard Norman say behind me. He was holding some textbooks about biology, and I wondered if it had something to do with his science class. 

I shook my head. "I'm trying to find a way to pay back (y/n) after she gave me that gift on Valentine's. But every time I talk to her, someone beats me to it." 

"I see," he replied, as he pushed up his reading glasses. "Well, try confronting her when she's alone. Or maybe talk to her between class?" 

"I tried both of those already," I answered. "Is there any other way?"

As I thought of ideas, Norman's eyes lit up. "(y/n)'s my chemistry partner, do you want me to tell her that you wanted to talk to her?" 

"Yeah! Sure, thanks," I said, smiling gratefully. "That'd be a real help. Thanks again."

"No problem, Ray," the albino responded. "What are friends for?"

At the end of the day

"Norman said you wanted to meet with me?" I heard a familiar voice say. I was standing in the courtyard and turned around. It was (y/n), who stared at me with expectant eyes. 

"Yes, you're right. Hi," I started as she greeted me back. This is going to be an experience, I can tell already. "First, I'd like to properly thank you for your gift last month." 

"You mean on Valentine's Day, correct?" she made sure. 

I said yes. "So, I've been wondering. Is it okay if I can take you out? As a way to pay you back, of course. You don't have to if you don't want to though," I asked and explained quickly. She laughed.

"You don't need to do that, but I'll be happy to join you," she answered, as her smile widened. "Is it for White Day?"

"Mhm," I hummed as an answer. "I have a plan set, so do you want me to pick you up?"