The Oracle

Part 6 of Love with a Loss of Innocence

(y/n)'s pov

Crown

Princess?

I looked up in confusion toward the king in front of me. To be honest, he didn't really look like a king. He was definitely higher in status than the townspeople but only wore the clothes of a baron.

He didn't have any resemblance to the king at all, besides his eyes of course. They were like millenium-old glaciers, cold and lively at the same time.

Everyone in the courthouse straightened up, and I could hear the rumors of the jury. The shock on Gillians face receded a little, but there was still surprise in her expression.

"Uh, if I may," I started quietly. The last few seconds clearly shook the whole atmosphere, and it was almost like the citizens of Ellesmere knew more about me than I knew myself. "What do you mean I'm the Crown Princess?"

"(y/n), have you ever heard about the oracle of Therondia?" Sir Yuugo asked. He seemed concerned, as I shook my head slowly.

"No, but that used to be my old crest," I explained. "I used to be a lady from there."

Lucas took a deep breath and silently asked the king something. He nodded in response. Gilda fidgeted with a loose thread on her cloak, not meeting the eyes of the jury.

"King Minerva, or better known as James, traveled to Asteria on a business trip. He was of proper age and needed to find a consort. Traditionally, the heir would marry someone within their kingdom, to strengthen it," he said. He seemed uncomfortable talking about the king's story while he was right next to him.

"But while he was in Asteria, he met a woman of the house of Therondia. Your mother. James fell in love with her, and she loved him as well. She knew about his status, and so their relationship remained a secret. No one in her family knew about it, and when he arrived back here, everyone went into conflict. But it was all resolved when she then birthed a baby girl, you," Lucas added.

My eyes widened. Did my mom have an affair with someone?!

"No, they did not have an affair," Sir Yuugo said. Can he read my mind?! I thought. "Back to the story, your mother knew that Asteria wouldn't accept a half Ellesmerean, with all the chaos happening with them. So, James sent his brother, Peter, to take care of you and your mother for the time being."

Peter? That's my father's name! I thought. So, he was actually sent to Asteria to take care of me instead.

"My own niece, (f/n), also came to work with you when you became seven. I believe Gillian's friend Monica also posed as your younger sister. You took your mother's last name, going by (y/n) (l/n). But it all fell apart when a year later, some Asterian assassins took your mother into custody, because of her relevance with Ellesmere, which eventually became an entire massacre. For treason, I believe. I suppose you injured your head, because you never remembered what happened during her disappearance," Lucas then said.

"My memory was a little fuzzy when I was younger," I admitted. "But how did I not realize?"

"Your family kept your status as a secret because we didn't want the Conglomerate to kill you," Gillian explained. "Then two years after your mother's case, an oracle went out that the High Court interpreted. It stated that the king's beloved daughter would return. Only the king knew what you looked like, which was why we didn't recognize you. We didn't even know your name, just about your legend."

"Then how does manipulating light have to do with being the Crown Princess?" I inquired. I had millions of questions, and I didn't even know how to ask them all. The fact that I was half-blooded, and my mom's situation had to do with Asterian hunters. My whole life was a lie!