Love with a Loss of Innocence

Requested by killua_kin

genre-  angst, medieval au

f/n: friend's name

characters are aged up to 18-20

warning: mature themes

I've been doing a lot of angst lately but that's fine. if you can tell I have no energy whatsoever.

Fairytales always seem to have happy endings. Look at Sleeping Beauty. After being in an eternal slumber for one hundred years, a handsome and noble prince comes to her rescue, fights off a dragon, and saves her. The Evil Fairy dies in a fire and the kingdom is well.

But was that really the case?

For starters, writers omitted the darker parts of Sleeping Beauty and only kept the essential ones. Second, "happily ever afters" are supposed to include everyone. So what about the villages that were engulfed in the dragon's fires? 

To be honest, it was the father's fault, not the Evil Fairy's. 

But no one would listen to her, since destiny and fate created her into a villain.

________________________________________________________________________________

 I was nicknamed The Lady of Good-Nature. Nobles and townspeople would always find me volunteering in the square, helping people. Do honorable things, my mother said. That's how people would respect you.

And it was true. My facade of being quiet, kind, and respectful grew. 

Most higher positions didn't even know I existed. I admit I lived a sheltered life before I moved to the palace.

I was only the illegitimate child of a countess, whose reputation was on a shoestring. My mother abandoned me when I was seven, so I had to teach myself how to survive in a world of royalty and secrets.

It was stressful. The act of smiling under pressure ate me from the inside. Sometimes I just wanted to sleep and never wake up. But if I did, no one would be able to maintain the identity of the kingdom. 

And that would have been even worse.

.

.

.

One day, I got a message from my personal assistant, (f/n). Apparently, my distinction grew so much that the crown prince called for me.

"His Majesty, he wants you!" she said breathlessly. She put her hands on her knees, and she almost fell. "Sorry, I ran a mile trying to spread the news to you."

"Can you clarify?" I asked eyes narrowed. I was busy translating a Latin manuscript, so this was clearly news to me. She pulled out a scroll and read aloud:

Crown prince Ray appoints Lady (y/n) of the house of Therondia, the future queen of Asteria. We await your decision shortly.

My eyes widened. Finally! My work on advancing to the high road paid off. I'll make you proud Mother, I thought. Just wait, and I'll find you again.

I nodded and signed the document myself. (f/n) quickly helped me pack and we left for the city palace.

I remember first arriving there. Servants occupied every corner, and it was louder than I thought. I didn't want to say anything, since I thought it would be impolite. I met royalty after.

They were as regal as you ever imagine. Decked out in the finest cloth and material, they were truly a sight. Duchess Emma, with her fiery hair and upbeat personality, and Marquess Norman, with mystifying ocean-blue eyes.