Baseball

Requested by yuugoswife

genre-highschool baseball au, fluff

note-i am not experienced in baseball in any way, shape, or form, so I apologize if I butcher anything. 

also, I have a small favor. Long story short, one of my friends is in denial that she is a simp for Norman. So I kind of created a petition to whether she was a simp or not. The thing is we made a deal that if I reach twenty signatures, she'll admit the truth. 

So, if you want, here's the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/everyone-that-thinks-kate-is-a-norman-simp-kate-is-a-norman-simp-and-that-is-the-gospel-truth?recruiter=1085405132&recruited_by_id=ed7ae310-8da7-11ea-b261-35ee4fa5fe97&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=petition_dashboard 

anyways on to the story!

(y/n)'s pov

Recently, I made it into the varsity baseball team for Goldy Pond. I was one of the youngest here, and it's only been a month of practice. However, I soon realized from some upperclassman that our rivals were Gracefield High.

I've heard about them, and that they had this amazing pitcher, batter, and catcher. I didn't let it scare me, minus the fact that they have been beating us for the past two years.

So, as a result, I made it my mission to end their streak.

________________________________________________________________________________

During break, my friend Monica sat next to me. I sipped my water thoughtfully, as I thought of the upcoming game three days from now. 

"You okay?" she asked, peering at me. "You seem preoccupied. Penny for your thoughts?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, I'm just really nervous for our game against Gracefield."

"Don't be, at this point, I couldn't care less whether we win or lose," she answered. "They've got us wrapped around them for so long. What matters is whether we improve or not."

"I guess," I answered, sighing. I really didn't like how everyone was acting all depressed, but I chose not to push it any further. 

The next day

Apparently, my pitches were running wild for some reason, so I spent a few minutes by myself to practice them. Sonya noticed and helped me.

"I heard you felt scared because of the game," she said, catching the ball with her mitt. She was one of the oldest ones on the team. She paused to wipe the dust off her glasses. "Maybe I'll need contacts. I can't see with all the dirt on these."

"Yeah, maybe you should," I said, reaching up after she threw the ball. "When was the last time we won against them?"

"I wanna say three years ago," she replied. "I think I wasn't on varsity yet, so I don't remember well."

"Oh okay, thanks," I said. So that far back, huh? I thought. I was losing hope every second.

"Don't worry about it, okay?" Sonya responded. "Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll all do well."

Soon after practice, I walked to a cafe by myself for a small snack. I usually ordered an iced coffee and a cookie, and just as I was about to say my order, I heard a group of teens the same age as me talk loudly. 

"We're gonna annihilate Goldy Pond again, right?" a girl with bright orange hair and green eyes exclaimed. She looked at a boy with white hair and a gentle smile next to her. "Norman, you'll cheer us on, okay?"