The Beach

Requested by @NashehaHaron

genre-fluff, modern au

(y/n)'s pov

Emma invited me to go to the beach with some of her friends. I accepted because I knew that she wouldn't bother me till I agreed. At least I knew them from my class.

So far, the day has been boring. Just a lot of seagulls here, tide pools there, and a whole expanse of the bright blue ocean.

"Boo," I heard Ray say behind me. I was sitting on a chair that was half-buried in the white sand. I looked behind me over my seat, as he stood above me.

"Jumpscares don't work on me," I replied flatly. "Don't you have better things to do?"

Ray shook his head. Emma and the rest of her group were playing in the sea, splashing each other. Not a lot of residents were here, besides an elderly couple babysitting a toddler. 

"Ah, you're no fun," he answered, sitting in the chair next to me. "So what are you doing?"

I showed him an assignment that was given by our science teacher, who I kind of hate. "It's an exit ticket that I need to turn in before midnight. Wait, you're in my class, shouldn't you at least know?"

"I already completed it two days ago," he responded. His hair was wet and was speckled with particles of sand. I tried not to laugh. "What's so funny?"

"You look like a depressed hermit crab," I said, finishing my homework. His eyebrows raised before he walked in front of me. He smiled. 

"Since you're done now, why don't you hang out with us?" he asked, holding out an arm. I thought about it, before deciding. Oh, whatever, I didn't ask to spend my entire day just sitting on a beach chair, I thought.

Ray and I proceeded to stroll through the powdery landscape before we reached the cooler, area. My feet sank in the soaked sand. 

"(y/n)!"I heard Gilda say. "I didn't know you came with us!"

I shrugged and grinned. I was wearing a shirt and denim shorts so I just let the waves rush toward me. I sighed, it's been a while since I felt the salty air of the ocean. 

I probably stood there for some time, because suddenly Anna asked if I wanted to play beach volleyball with her and the rest of her friends. I nodded since I knew a little bit of knowledge. 

We were split into teams of six. Norman and Gilda were on my team, while Ray and Emma were on the other team. Norman served the first ball, and we played for quite a bit. Volleyball was tiring. 

The thing is, Emma knew her friends for quite some time, which made me feel a little out of place. I have no idea why she wanted me to join her, but I was enjoying myself. It felt welcoming to be in a new environment, different from school or in my room. 

After our team lost the game, we were too tired to have a rematch. Norman was on the ground, and I almost thought he passed out. As I was busy eating grilled corn in silence, I felt Ray tap my shoulder. I turned around.

"Yeah?" I prompted. He changed into another set of clothes, different from the ones he wore earlier. 

"No, I just wanted to ask if you wanna see something," he said as I walked behind my chair to meet him. "It's pretty cool if you ask me."

I narrowed my eyes before deciding on going with him. All I wanted was to go home, to be honest, but since I'm stuck here, I might as well make the most of my time. He took my hand and quietly led me to this secluded area. "Close your eyes."

I did, even though I felt like I shouldn't. I trusted him though, and he carefully brought me over to another place. The air suddenly felt cooler, and the ground was slippery. He still held my hand so I wouldn't trip over the rocks I felt under my sandals.

"We're here now," I heard him say. "You can open your eyes now."

I did, and I was met with a sparkling seashore cove. There was bioluminescent algae on the sides, so it had a blue, evening glow. I gasped at the sight. 

"Do you know why I brought you here?" he asked as he looked at me. I glanced at him, confused on why.

"It's because it reminds me of you," he stated. 

"Beautiful." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, this was requested by @NashehaHaron.

If you haven't seen already, I made a separate Wattpad book for The Student Council. It should be next to this one of my profile.

Thanks for supporting and have a lovely day/night!