Cloaked

Last Time:

"Someone else killed her. I assure you, Tom, I'm investigating this. In fact, it's the reason I called. Brian, can you contact your goblins? I need to know about a Potter heirloom. Specifically, an invisibility cloak."

XXXXXXXXXX

Tom hid his nervousness well as he followed Brian to the dome where the Herbology class was, "Did you hear from the Minister again?"

"You aren't going to be involved so don't worry." Brian chuckled.

"Oh. Ok." Tom said. His mind has been going a mile a minute since he was told about Persephone and her condition, but he thought he was hiding that. It seems Brian wasn't so easy to fool as his past professors. Then again, it helped that the man cared. In fact, Brian was subtly watching Tom who was clearly deep in thought ...

Some of Tom's thoughts were as follows. If that girl wasn't killed by him and Persephone who did kill her? On top of all of this, how can he truly not be dragged into this? The minister assured him that everything was handled as far as his missing years, but what did that mean? How can he be kept out of this when he was the reason Persephone was even revealed? That makes him a witness to a murder, right?

"You're worried." Brian said bluntly as he glanced at the teen.

Tom was surprised that he saw through him so easily, "I was a witness ..."

Brian frowned as he cast a muffling charm over them and stopped to look at Tom, "Officially you weren't there back then and Persephone was found by Julian."

"Julian?" Tom exclaimed in confusion though he felt his heart flutter slightly for some reason.

"The Minister understands what you went through. After I checked on the Gringotts issue he told me what arrangements he made for you. The story is that the Tom Riddle back in the past was your grandfather who left a pensieve behind for his heir, you, to find and, as I said, Julian is the heir of Hogwarts so it makes sense that he'd reveal Persephone now. It helps that Julian is the heir of Slytherin and speaks parseltongue." Brian put a comforting hand on Tom's shoulder. "All you need to do is give the goblins a memory this weekend then you only have to worry about living your own life, ok?"

Tom was stunned. They handled everything so he didn't have to worry. These people who had no reason to care have done so much for him! "I can give you the memory now!" Tom exclaimed, wanting to do something to repay them.

"I know you want to help, but you're still recovering so you aren't allowed to push it." Brian smiled as Tom's eyes had a slight glimmer to them. It looked like he was going to cry. He could tell that Tom wasn't so much sad, but actually very happy. The poor teen has gone through so much and all by himself, "You aren't alone now, ok?"

When the comforting arms pulled him into a hug Tom completely broke down sobbing. It was amazing to be cared for and protected for a change. No one has done that before, but now he has a home, a chance to finish school and have a family. Everything he has ever wanted was right there and it made him so happy. However, there was one thing that concerned him and he feared the answer may change things ...

"Who was I before my soul was healed?" Tom whispered so softly that Brian wouldn't have heard it at all if anyone was in that hall at all.

Brian hummed, "Really the only thing known is that you speak parseltongue and have a link with Hogwarts. None of your vaults were used and there are plenty of snake speakers out there so it's hard to say!" Brian exclaimed cheerily. "It wouldn't matter if I did."

Tom sniffled, "Right." It was obvious that Brian knew, but the headmaster made it clear it didn't matter. Tom pulled away and wiped the tears away feeling much better despite not being handed an answer.