Bait and Switch

Last Time:

A far more focused hour passed and finally it was time to go home, but Tom was concerned when the twin potion professors, who finished their honeymoon and were back to work, ended up needing to come pick him up. They took him home and stayed with him, but didn't say what was going. It wasn't until Brian and Julian got home that he learned everything ...

XXXXXXXXXX

Dumbledore blinked, "What in Merlin's name happened?" He just sat there on the stone floor of his Azkaban prison cell and tried to understand how he got here. The day started fine, but then the trial ...

Flashback

Dumbledore received a notice stating that the Wizengamot council was gathering. The students all left for an early break so things could be sorted now that the basilisk was removed. Of course, that happened a while ago so he was confident in his belief that this would just be a regular meeting that required his insight. He went to the Ministry and sat in his place at the head of the table, but then he noticed some extra guests sitting with the other members.

"Severus, Brian, Julian, why are you here?" Dumbledore asked. He actually had bitten the inside of his cheek to stop him from saying Harry Potter instead of Julian.

Severus cocked an eyebrow, "This meeting is about the basilisk that was extracted from Hogwarts so of course we're all here. We saw everything or were involved in some way."

Dumbledore blinked in confusion, "but young Julian wasn't there-"

The minister came in and sat down, "I have the final health report from the Extraction Unit so we're all ready to discuss the concerns that many parents have reported." He said as he levitated a copy to every member for them to look at.

One wizengamot member stood tall and looked at Dumbledore almost apologetically, "Several parents have been freaking out about everything."

"Shouldn't this be something the Board of Education should be bringing up with me?" Dumbledore asked as he started to suspect something wasn't right here.

Most of the council members looked too hesitant to bring up the main issue so the minister sighed, "The problem isn't with the sudden sending of their children home or even the giant snake. The problem is you, which is why the Board told us to investigate."

"Me?!" Dumbledore gasped, completely shocked that anyone would find fault with him.

"As hard as it is to believe, yes." Cornelius commented with some subtle sarcasm. "These reports are more about how you did nothing during the fiasco during the extraction. Most specifically how you did nothing to protect or shield the students-"

"And how did you not know that a giant beast was in the school centuries! You've been at Hogwarts for years, both as a professor and headmaster, but never knew?!" Another member snapped before sheepishly sinking in her seat and shuffling the very report that set her off. "I'm sorry for interrupting, Minister Fudge."

"It's quite alright. This is an upsetting subject." Cornelius said kindly.

Dumbledore put on a great grandfatherly face and tried to seem heartbroken by the accusations. "How was I, or anyone, supposed to know about the basilisk? There was never any sign. How did you even find it?" He asked knowing there's only one person besides himself who knew about the basilisk and if he could get them on the dark lord then maybe they'd forget his misdeeds.

Cornelius nodded seemingly in understanding, "Why don't we start there. Would the person who reported the basilisk's existence to me please stand?" Brian stood up. "Brian White, how did you come by any information on the basilisk?" He asked, choosing his words with great care.