Hissing Hatchling

Last Time:

The headmaster smiled, "I have no doubt little one. Go to sleep." He gave Harry the toy wolf to cuddle and watched as the boy finally lost the battle with the Sandman and fell asleep. Brian gently ran his fingers through the black hair before getting up to call Aster and tell her about what happened ...

XXXXXXXXXX

Aster sat down on the couch with Brian and smiled as she watched Harry play with the now animated toy wolf in the living room section of the tree house. "He has become much calmer around magic now."

"Yeah, it only took a couple weeks ... he was so scared when I first turned the charms back on the toys." Brian smiled softly as Harry settled down with his very animated wolf toy, who was named Mickey, and started coloring.

"When is the appointment at Gringotts?" Aster asked softly so as not to startle Harry.

"Tomorrow afternoon, actually. I have to explain about the goblins and the possible exams they will perform ... I hope he won't be scared." Brian frowned more than a a little nervous about how Harry would react if he met the goblins. The last thing he wanted was to stress Harry.

The healer smiled, "Don't worry yourself. The goblins are very good at handling these kinds of situations and we can give Harry a calming potion before going. Are you sure you want me to come too? Harry hasn't completely warmed up to me yet."

"Just because he calls me Dad doesn't mean he is calm around me all the time. Harry gets scared easily, which is understandable considering what he went through. I just want him to have two people he knows there so he won't be too scared." said Brian as he saw Harry run over his room and come back with a small figure of a basilisk charmed to slither around and hiss. "He seems to like the serpents the best." Brian chuckled as Harry seemed to pretend to listen to the snake.

"Have you thought of any names, Harry, or do you want to keep your own?" Aster asked softly, but they were shocked at the response. As always Harry shyly avoided eye contact with Aster and a set of hisses came out. Both Brian and Aster blinked in shock as Harry hissed softly always watching the toy basilisk, but stopped when Brian burst out laughing.

"Hold on one second, little one," Brian slid off the couch to join Harry on the floor and took one of the pieces of papers Harry didn't color on. The headmaster held it between Harry and the toy snake blocking the mini basilisk from view even though Mickey was pawing the paper playfully. "Now try talking." Brian said softly.

Harry tilted his head in confusion, "Daddy gave me a book of names to look at and we read most of it ... I think I like ..." Harry trailed off shyly a little afraid though he knew he shouldn't with these people. Poor Harry was behind most children his age in much more than weight and height. The child's education suffered immensely as well because of his muggle relatives. In fact, the boy couldn't read, write or even identify any animals beyond cats and dogs. The child knew more about kitchen items than toys, but Brian has had a lot of fun helping Harry learn and there's no doubt that Harry will be up to par with other kids his age by school time.

Brian grinned and patted Harry's head gently, "There's no wrong answer. Which did you like?"

"Matthew ... and Anthony." Harry blushed shyly, but he just couldn't resist glancing at the paper separating him from the toy snake, which was still hissing.

"Both are excellent names, but let me explain why I'm blocking your snake first. Harry there are people who can speak to snakes and some reptiles. It's a very rare gift that only a handful of magical people are born with each year. When Aster asked you what you wanted as far as your name goes you hissed back as you were looking at the snake. What is the snake saying?" Brian asked as Aster was beaming with excitement.