Bats & Cats

Last Time:

That means Brian had better be careful and Severus too if they find him. Although the UK potions master has been wanting to meet the Australian potion masters who made the potions for Julian so ... let's hope it ends well ...

XXXXXXXXXX

Green eyes watched the little soul fragment flitter around the glass orb as if it was trying to get close to Julian's little fingers that were touching the glass, "I think it likes me."

"I'm not surprised." Severus said as glanced up from the bubbling cauldron. He smiled in amusement as the little boy watched something move in the orb that hung from the necklace around the child's neck. This has become a favorite part of his routine.

On the days Brian can't get out of some meeting or duty Severus stops by and he and Julian spend time together. Now that Hogwarts is on break he can stay a lot longer, which was far better than staying at his house at Spinner's End. Also he was learning so much here and to his surprise he wouldn't be considered potion master outside the UK so he started studying again to qualify as a potion master here too. Julian would study his own things and practice his numbers and reading as Severus got ready, but Severus noticed that the little boy seemed fascinated in watching the brewing process. He wondered if Julian would be a potion master when he grows up.

"Can we look for the other pieces?" Julian asked sweetly as he hopped off the curved tan couch that was in the open potion lab section across from his Daddy's office. Mickey wagged his tail and followed suit ready to tag along wherever Julian wanted to go.

Severus frowned, he knew this would come up, but he didn't like the thought of Julian going to the UK and potentially getting caught by Dumbledore ... even if the chances Julian being recognized as Harry Potter were nearly nonexistent. "Your Dad, Aster and I have discussed that. The issue is that we know very little about who the person was before they went down the path that lead them to becoming a dark wizard, but I intend to do some digging on that. It's also unclear as to where or how many soul fragments there are. All we know is that the goblins said the runes on your necklace glow when the pieces are all found. I will try to discover what I can, but you have more recovery to do and you start school in a few months. So far it looks like you will have to wait, but there's no rush ... Julian? You ok?" Severus asked as the little 4 year old boy suddenly looked nervous and sad about something.

Julian fidgeted slightly before looking up at his godfather, "There ... are lots of kids at schools, right?"

"Indeed." Severus sighed as he realized the problem. Dudley was the only other child Julian knew and from what he observed when he stops by to secretly spy on the Dursleys it wasn't a good relationship. Dudley was spoiled, violent and dumb, which meant little Julian endured suffering at the hands of another child back then. "It's ok to be scared on your first day, but keep in mind that other kids aren't like Dudley and they will be scared too. Your Dad, Stephen and Aster will be there so if anyone hurts you all you have to do is say something. I'll be stopping by to check on you every now and then too so don't worry. Take it as a chance to make friends."

"Ok ..." Julian said still a bit unsure.

The dark haired wizard sighed, but smiled, "You'll see it isn't that bad. Brian wants to show you around before the summer and he has some plans to take you to some zoos and reserves so you can meet other kids there. Just be yourself, ok?" Julian smiled shyly and nodded. "Good, now let me make you some lunch. I saw a recipe for Mac & Cheese in your Dad's cookbook. How does that sound?"

Those green eyes lit up, "Sounds tasty!"

Severus chuckled as he saw the small boy run ahead, "Don't run, Julian." He said noting that the boy and his plush toy slowed down. It didn't matter how many times Brian described the safety wards and charms around the house he still didn't think someone should run across the rope bridges. As he made sure the potion would be fine unattended and calmly followed the excited blonde into the main tree house section he froze as he saw two women waiting there. Before he could interrogate them though ...