Chapter 30

The Christmas season had faded and now the mansion was being prepped for the New Year's celebration.

The last four days had been good. Dyan and I were on talking terms, she and Fel actually creating a bond as they worked together. With Thelma out with a cold, Dyan had chosen 'Carmen' to fill Thelma's role.

They had been going crazy with planning the event, Fel managing to do a bit of snooping here and there and gathering intel on Donavan Malaki.

So far, all we knew about him was that he was representing a secret enterprise interested in buying Nicalus' cure and funding his future research. We had managed to scoop out the business he worked for and they were legitimate, squeaky clean and new to the industry.

Mr. Malaki himself was also squeaky clean. This was not impossible but with men as powerful as he was, there was usually something else brewing beneath that innocent front.

Aside from that, Dyan and Fel had been getting too close. I would be walking around the mansion and overhear Fel telling Dyan embarrassing stories about me. They would then look at me and giggle in a way that said 'I know something you don't know'.

I would be happy that my sister and the woman I had feelings for were getting along but I hated being out of the loop. I was the focus of their bicker and I didn't know what that bickering was about.

Thankfully, nothing Fel had said caused Dyan to change her mind about me. She had been spending her breaks with me while I worked and even made it her thing to sneak out to my cabin when she got bored. We hadn't done anything and I had no problem with that. Watching her laugh, smile and talk passionately about what fascinated her made my nights so much better.

Her bright brown mochas, her caramel skin glowing in the lamplight and the smile she flashed at me played repeatedly in my dreams. I would see her telling me how much she wanted me and no one else...and I would be putty in her hands.

I was beyond whipped and I didn't mind it. I wanted her and if I had to beg, I would go on my fucking knees for her.

"Daydreaming again, Jo—Troy?' the woman of my dreams asked and I jolted in surprise.

The tray in my hand shakes but with Dyan's help I steady it before the glasses could slip and fall.

"I didn't mean to frighten you," Dyan giggled before righting a few glasses and stepping back.

My mouth dropped as I took her in for the umpteenth time for the night.

The dress was green with a deep V-cut, a mid-thigh, flowy skirt and a backless design. The gold jewellery she wore enhanced her beauty and the makeup made her look flawless.

She was a goddess.

"I'm guessing you like my outfit. You seem to be drooling," she teased with a smile and I cleared my throat before wiping at my mouth.

"You look breath-taking," I replied like a lovesick puppy.

Dyan blushed before giggling, the sound drowning out the chattering and music around us.

The New Year's Eve party was underway and majority of the attendees were drunk, even Michele and her husband. The lively music and flashy designs screamed rich yet a few touches screamed 'Dyan' to me. The figurines and the Lil Wayne music blasting through the speakers the most evident.

"Enjoying the party?" I asked hoping to have her attention a little longer.

"No. Majority of the guests are trollied and I have to be hiding from my overly touchy fiancé," Dyan huffed and I would have smiled at her expression if it weren't for the mention of Nicalus.