Chapter 27

"There was an attack on Dy-Ms. Ryder's life," I state looking at Lauren's image on the laptop screen.

It was late in the night and the screen reflected the Moon's light making it a bit dazzling to the eye.

"The Silver Sword?" she asked with a sigh.

Lauren was in a pink bathrobe tied at the front, her hair was in a messy bun and her face makeup-free and looking tired. She was leaning back on her sofa her body language seeming tense.

"Yes," I replied with a sigh of my own.

"Give me the damage report," she said rubbing her eyes.

"They took me by surprise," I started while bandaging the wound on my shoulder. "She was drugged and obtained a few bruises but other than that she's fine."

My eyes drifted to a sleeping Dyan, cuddling my pillow to her chest in my bed. She was now in one of my shirts and boxers sleeping off the drug's effect.

It was one in the morning; she's been asleep for two hours and showed no signs of waking.

"And you?" Chief asked gaining my attention.

"I'm fine, just a few scrapes here and there," I said casually. "It'd take more than that to break me down."

"That's good to hear," Lauren commends with a strained smile. "What about the attackers?"

"Three of them were knocked out... One killed himself..." I responded rubbing my forehead. "I disposed of the body in a nearby dumpster... If you can send someone to retrieve it that'd be great."

Nodding, Lauren covered her mouth as she yawned.

"Lauren," her husband called as he entered the living room with a frown.

She turned, observing him and his eyes drifted to me.

"Jovaughn," he acknowledged.

"Daniel."

"I think it's time for Lauren to sleep," he stated looking at his wife. "It's almost four here and she's been at work since twelve. Call again tomorrow."

"Danny..." Lauren warned but an arch of a brow from him silenced her.

"Will do sir," I replied with a smirk. "Goodnight, chief. Sleep well."

"You too Agent Grizzle. Keep me in touch, and keep an eye on the girl." And with that, we were disconnected.

Leaning back, I closed my eyes wondering what the fuck I was going to do. How was I going to explain that attack...and Sharona's mess? You're thoroughly fucked Jovaughn.

"Jovaughn? Agent Grizzle?" Dyan's voiced in confusion and I turned in shock.

"Who are you?" she asked her back pressed against my bed head and eyes staring in betrayal.

Shit!

"Dyan, I can explain..." I said advancing towards her.

"Bloody hell you will... and stay there!" She shouted, holding up her hands and I stopped in my tracks. "Who in the name of the Queen are you?"

I contemplated lying but it was obvious it would only make her sceptical of me and frustrated... Dyan was no fool and lying would only make this worse.

Sighing, I slowly returned to my seat, keeping my eyes on her. "My name is Jovaughn Grizzle... I am a FBI agent tasked with protecting Nicalus and by an extent you."

I looked straight in her eyes, watching as a tidal wave of emotions flickered in them. She seemed disoriented, scared...

"You're not Troy... You are not a butler... You're an agent," she said with shaky lips.

"Yes," I replied watching her reaction.

She grabbed her head trying to understand what I had said; asking herself if I am telling the truth?

"I knew you were too bloody hot to be a mere butler," she murmured but I heard it. "I'm such a fucking idiot."

I stifled a chuckle stopping when I heard her last statement. As she gazed at me narrowing her eyes I felt the distrust for me grow. "If you're really here to protect Nicalus why would you go after his fiancée? Was that apart of your plan getting information out of me?"

Her voice was steady and her eyes observed me, studied me.

"That wasn't a part of my job... It wasn't necessary. I was just-"

"- drawn to me? Intrigued? Don't feed me that crap!" she shouted in anger.

Her breasts jumped as she lashed out and it took great strength from me not to look.

"It's not like that!" I stated, moving forward, her eyes opened in fright and before I know it I was staring at the barrel of a gun... my gun.

"Hiding your gun at your bedhead doesn't seem like such a good idea now, does it?" she questioned with glossy eyes, cocking the gun. "Now sit the fuck down before I place a hole in your chest... You know I have good aim so don't fuck with me."

Listening, I sit down staring at her tensed form.

"Now, why were you sent to protect Nicalus?" she continued.

"I'm not allowed to sa-"

"Why were you sent to protect Nicalus?!" she asked sharply. "I don't care if you're not allowed to spill!"

Dyan...

"He found the cure for cancer. People crave what he has and will do anything to get it, just like the men that attacked you," I replied reluctantly.

"How do I know that you didn't send them for me? How do I know it wasn't all an act to get me to trust you?"

"Dyan, I'm not your enemy... I care for you... I would never do that-" I stated in disbelief only to be interrupted.

"You lied to me, Troy!" she pointed out. "Why should I believe a word from your mouth?"

"Are you fucking blind?" I asked incredulously. "I took a bullet getting you back... If I wanted to kidnap you, I had many chances to do so. I had already gotten your trust. Why would I need to put on act to get it?"

"That's thinking highly of yourself Troy... Who said I trusted you?" she asked raising her brow... looking oh so delicious.

"Dyan, I care about you... I didn't plan what happened. I am not your enemy..." I stated, rising from my chair.

"I said sit down," she seethed pointing the gun at me.

"I did nothing to harm you..." I said getting closer. "If you don't believe me go ahead and shoot me... If you believe all the time we spent together was a lie... shoot me."

By now, I was at the side of the bed staring at her and a gun to my chest. She held my gaze with narrowed eyes that started to waver as I cupped her face.

"Dyan... It's still me. The guy you said was sweet, cute and a soppy romantic... I'd never do anything to hurt you, Cupcake. You're too special to me."

Her eyes glossed up and I smile seeing her lower her hand with the gun. She clenched her teeth thinking long and hard but I was too elated to see that she believed me.

"Finally," I muttered staring at her adoringly, leaning forward to kiss her lips.

What I did not count on was her leg shooting up to damage my goods.

"Fuck," I cursed falling over on the bed as pain shot through me.

She hurriedly ran from the bed grabbing her clothes on my nightstand and running to the door.

She threw the gun to the other end of the room and eyed me in anger.

"I might believe you didn't try to hurt me but don't fool yourself into believing you can hold me as you did before," she said with a frown. "Don't touch me again unless you want a repeat of this."

I looked up at her in pain, groaning. "Dyan..."

"Goodnight, Troy. I will see you in the morning when my fiancé returns. Have a wonderful night."

...and with that, she left.