Chapter 10

The moonlight shimmered against the moist grass, illuminating the grassland with its pale blue radiance.

The wind whispered songs of tranquillity which the animals accompanied by chirping and hooting. The moon rays illuminated the path as we walked away from the house. Enjoying the feel of this cold night and the company we have to share it with.

"So... I was wondering... Well, it's more of an observation," she stated twisting her fingers. "Are you and Ms. Peterson –Sharona like a thing?"

I stared wide-eyed at her, my mouth agape. Quickly I covered up my shocked expression and looked at the sky.

The night sky was starry, the twinkling balls of gases looking down on us, smiling and emitting their pale glow.

"No. I'm neither involved with Sharona in that way nor do I have a girlfriend. Why would you think that?" I asked my eyes drifting to her face.

She looked radiant; the pale blue glow against her golden skin looked like art. The light showed the contour of her body. From her perky cheeks, the bosom of her cupcakes, the dimples that adorn her hips to the shape of her well-toned legs. She was now in shorts that hung low on her hips, she threw them on after I agreed to the walk with her.

"Um... Let's see. You and Sharona appeared together from the kitchen after I discovered the food closet's door locked... and I do remember sending you for wine," she replied crossing her arms, giving me an 'I know I'm right' look.

I ran my hand through my hair and I chuckled nervously. "Um... I was there but not with her. I was aroused by the numbers of sexy ladies at the party - such as yourself and I merely went to calm myself."

As the lie rolled off my tongue, I watched Dyan mimic my shocked expression from earlier.

Her hand cupped her mouth, her brown orbs having a glimmer in them and her expression turned to that of an amused one.

"Troy! We eat from there!" she attacked me with her hands; playfully hitting me.

"Yeah, you can! Just not from the boxes to the front!" I tried to fend her off.

She pulled away laughing. I stared at her quite amused. "Men and their hormones! You let your dicks control you!"

I frowned. Well, she had a point.

Let's see... Taking Sharona as a consort for sex, dick; sex in the food closet, dick and seeing Dyan for the first time... all I had were dickful thoughts. Plus by the havoc I caused in the past, it was clear to say that I'm a dickful thinker.

"But you love when the dick talks... Women on a whole do," I said giving a cocky grin.

"Touché," she said nodding her head.

We walked across the gulf course; commenting on the scenery now and again. She was an easy person to talk with and she got me.

"You know what I love to do?" she asked.

I thought for a while. "Fuc-"

"Not that!" she rushed out. "I love to play in the grass. When I was smaller my neighbours, my mother and I would go to the park every Saturday for play dates."

A faint smile formed on her lips. She stared out in space as if she was reminiscing on the past before letting out a longing breath and sighed.

"How about we have a play date?" I asked, hoping it didn't sound as sexual as I thought.

She looked at me, surprised and excited. "Really?"

"Yeah, it's -"

"Okay, let's," she giggled as ran forward did a front flip and landed on her feet effortlessly.

My mouth hung loose, adult to child in mere seconds. She never failed to surprise me.

I wonder if she can flip on this dick?

"Troy, are you coming?" she yelled. Yeah, I might be...

I nodded and ran after her as she sprinted towards the only tree in the area.

She abruptly stopped at the tree, looking it over before nodding. "Let's climb it!"

"Um... I remember you saying playing in the grass," I gulped as I took in the height of the tree.

"Come on. It'll be fine; don't be a wuss. Plus if we fall the grass is here to cushion us."

She wasted no time grabbing a limb and climbing up. She manoeuvred her body up the tree, dodging limbs in her way. She looked like a gymnast swinging from limb to limb.

The tree was hardwood by the looks of it with the broad trunk, broad leaves and the crown spreading out horizontally. I couldn't pick up the type of tree though.

Dyan swung to a scarce part of the tree; the limbs were farther apart and looked weaker.

"Aren't you coming up?" she asked.

"I think I'll stay down here in case you fall. Plus my hand i-"

Snap.

A tree limb suddenly snapped under her feet and acting quickly she grabbed the limb above her. She was now dangling from that limb and the other branch was too far for her to reach.

"Dyan! Are you okay?!" I yelled.

"Yeah, mind taking up your post and catching me?" she asked, fright and humour in her voice.

I move beneath her and held up my arms. "Drop! I'll catch you."

"Duh."

She obeyed, releasing her hold and came falling. I caught her before she hit the ground. Due to her quick reflects - she landed bridal style in my arms. My hand ached but I ignored it.

"That was like old times!" she laughed.

I looked at her like she was crazy. "You nearly fell out of a tree and you're laughing?"

"The fact is that I didn't fall," she retorted. "Well, at least to the ground."

I shake my head before looking into her eyes. "You're one crazy woman."

She smiled and stared at me.

I got lost in her brown puddles that reflected the stars' and moon's light. They looked beautiful, the cornea of her eyes - milky white, the brown tint of her irises- reminded me of chocolate mocha and her long curly lashes - looked as light and delicate as feathers. Her chocolate mochas held a burst of energy; joy.

Joy that could keep you warm even when the temperature is below 5°; joy you could get a lively buzz off ... but that joy wasn't alone; it was accompanied by pain, its foe. The pain that dwelled somewhere deep within her and tried to take away her joy. I can see it.

The way she changed moods and acted showed her inner battle.

She's like a mystery book I just can't put down and I want to solve this mystery.

Dyan raised her hand to tuck strands of hair from my eyes and gave me a lopsided smile. I returned it.

I slowly brought my lips towards hers and she did the same without hesitation. Was this it? Would I get the kiss of this fair maiden and steal her heart? Will she allow me to savour this moment?

My lips were inches away from hers when she switched direction and pecked my cheek. I pulled back and looked at her confused. She jumped out of my hold and stood in front of me.

"Thank you for letting me accompany you, for saving me and for this night."

She was looking down and playing with her hands.

"It was my pleasure," I replied a bit disappointed.

She nodded and walked away from me, without another word. I watched as she disappeared into the night. The images replayed in my mind over again, I was so close...and most of all...

...she wanted to kiss me.