Chapter 29

It was Christmas Day.

My parents had called both Felecia and I wishing us a Merry Christmas and expressing how they wished we were there in Alaska to celebrate with them.

We had spent Christmas with them last year but we were unable to compromise this year, this mission was important and we could not leave until it was over. Therefore, we had mailed our gifts in advance, Mom had gifted us another hand knitted sweater set with our names and faces on them, Dad opting for a card, and custom printed coffee mugs.

Felecia and I had gotten them a new generator since theirs had recently broken down and a also a new heater. We knew how cold it could get up there in the winter.

The mansion was packed with guests seeing as though it was the night of Nicalus' Christmas party. I hadn't seen Dyan from day and that made this Christmas day less merry, as soppy as it sounded.

Majority of the guest here had been placed in hotels since Nicalus didn't want them staying in the mansion and the Ryders, Dyan's adopted family, had flown into the island last night.

They were just as I expected, snobby and ill mannered. Michele Ryder was the most infuriating woman I had ever met and frankly is a rotten bitch. She treated me as if I was shit under her shoe and worked me like a slave.

She spilled her tea; I had to clean it up for her even though the napkins were right next to her hand. She felt tired; I had to carry her up the stairs and to her room. I was moved into the servant quarters in mansion for the night because of the upcoming party and if she needed something throughout the night, she pressed the intercom linking her to my room, ordering me to fetch it before bringing it to her room.

Her husband, Nathaniel wasn't so bad but sometimes it was like he was Michele's puppet. He was sociable but there were moments he barely spoke or interacted with anyone but his wife. The few orders he had given me were to get him a beer, many beers. It seemed like he left the same way about his wife as I did.

Being the one with the money in the relationship gave Michele the edge over her husband, hell the man had to take her surname. The Ryders were too prestigious for their name not to be carried on, even by their females.

Poor bastard, trapped in a loveless marriage all because of greed.

"So, what is the plan tonight?" I heard Felecia ask as she walked towards the bar in an elf costume.

She had the pointy ears, the green dress, candy cane stockings and the pointy shoes. I was in a Santa hat, red vest and pants, a white shirt and black shoes. It was the Christmas season and Nicalus wanted the waiters to be dressed festively, hence the outfits.

"Scouting. We keep an ear out at all time and be on alert," I said as I took the tray of alcohol from the bartending counter. "We know the Silver Sword has infiltrated the island and they might make a move tonight."

Fel nodded before placing her tray on the counter and telling the bartender the orders. I made my way out into the crowd, delivering the drinks with a smile on my face when I would rather be anywhere but here.

I passed Dyan a few times, as I circled the room and it took everything in me not to look her way. Seeing her with Nicalus always got me angry and I needed a level head tonight. There may be an attack on their lives tonight and anger is your greatest foe.

"Oh, Troy," I heard Mrs. Ryder call as I was walking past and I gritted my teeth.

Schooling my features, I turned to face Michele with a fake smile. "Mrs. Ryder."

Michele was in a red cocktail dress and standing beside her husband who was in a black suit with a red tie.

My chest tightened as I noticed that Dyan was with them. She was in a beautiful, sleeveless, gold cocktail dress that hugged her curves and had a high split on her left thigh. Her face had minimal makeup and her hair was in an elegant up-do that showed off her beautiful neck and shoulders. A diamond necklace and earrings adorned her already perfect image and I found myself unable to look away.