13│Kai

After hearing what Prince Caspian said, I picked up my pace and I quickly ran hand in hand with Caliban. I was practically just dragging Caliban along at this point. We ran for a few minutes until I stopped at a secluded place located in the hallways.

I turned around and yanked my hand out of his. Then, I said angrily, "Why didn't you fight back?!"

Caliban stared at me, void of all emotions, very different from how he usually is with me. "Because it would be unless," Caliban said emotionless.

I stared into his crimson-red eyes that were dull and without life.

Why was he acting like this for?

"Caliban-" I started to say but was cut off by him.

"Kai, no matter what I do, they will always see me as a monster, as a villain," Caliban said with his voice cracking in obvious pain.

My heart hurt for him.

Caliban never grew up with familial love like other people. To make it worse, in the book, it said how when Caliban was younger, he tried to make friends with the young nobles.

But, every time he approached them with good will, they will always run away from his calling him a "monster."

I reached for my hand. His hand was bigger than mine and I felt the rough callouses on his hand that tell me that he was practicing swordsmanship. I gently rubbed my hand onto his which startled him, causing him to widen his dark red eyes in shock.

"You are not a monster Caliban. You are human, just like everyone else. I see you as my friend, I'm not afraid of you."

I could feel him tremble through his hands and I smiled brightly at him.

"Do you know how much I like you?" I asked him.

Caliban's voice cracked a little when he said, "Like?" His cheeks were a faint shade of pink.

Oh crap!

"As a friend!" I added when I realized he might have gotten the wrong idea, but for some reason, I felt pain in my heart when I did so.

Why would I feel pain? It is not like I like him romantically right?

I don't know if it was my imagination, but Caliban's face darkened when I added the last part.

But, it was gone as soon as it appeared.

An expression of understanding appeared instead.

Abruptly, Caliban ruffled my hair and smirked at me. "I'll never fall in love with you Kai." He said.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

What the heck was he saying that for?

"Wh-What do you mean?!" I stuttered out, utterly baffled and perplexed.

"I almost misunderstood you there Kai. I read many novels about romance so I know that what you mean to say is that you like me because usually when the female lead says that they think of them as a friend they mean the opposite." Caliban said.

He reads romance novels?! I thought.

But wait, what did he just say?!

"I'm sorry to break it to you, Kai. I'll never fall in love with you, after all, I don't even know what love feels like."

My mouth kept opening and closing like a fish that needed water. Seeing that I did not have anything to say, he walked away from me.

So he thinks that I am in love with him huh. I thought.

But the thought that if I was actually in love with him, he would just reject me made me feel extremely saddened. 

What was this feeling? Don't tell me I am actually in love with Caliban?! 

Come on now, I only just met him and the number of times that I met with him can be counted on a single hand!

My heart was pounding fast and I bit my lip with the sudden realization that I was indeed in love with him. It infuriating me that he was right.

Maybe that is why I suddenly blurted out to him, "I'll make you fall for me one day, just you wait!!!"

I could tell that I was blushing, much to my embarrassment.

Caliban stopped walking and turned around with a slight smirk. "I'll wait for the day to come then, little kitten."

I blushed even harder.

Kitten!!???!

The lunch bell rang signaling the end of lunch.

I glared at Caliban one last time before I hurried off to my next class. As I was walking to my next class, I was absent-minded because I kept thinking about what Caliban said.