Nightfall

'Havre...' a voice echoed in her head, muffled by a high-pitched, static noise in her ears. She tried to open her eyes, but everything around her was blurry and moving in slow motion. 'Havre...!'

A hazy image of a face appeared leaning over her and she felt someone's arms picking her up from the ground. She groaned, as her senses slowly started to come back and she became aware of blinding pain in her chest and the back of her head. She lay motionless in the arms and felt her eyelids slowly getting heavier.

'Stay with me.' she heard the muffled voice again. 'Come on, Havre, stay with me.'

She tried to open her eyes again, but her body refused to obey. She couldn't hold on any longer. Her limbs became numb and Havre felt as if she was gradually falling into a dark void. She had to let go...

And then suddenly, she saw a small gleam of light, somewhere far above her head. She focused her eyes on it, watching it expand, illuminating the darkness around her. And then, Havre heard a distant voice calling her name.

'Havre...' She felt air coming into her lungs and as she exhaled, everything around her slowly started to take form. After mere seconds, she could vaguely recognize the shapes of a hazy landscape surrounding her, and a face hovering above her. 'Hey! Can you hear me?'

'Ren...?' She mumbled out, as she slowly got used to the light and the face became clearer. He held her by the hand and helped her sit up, backing her up against a hard surface.

Havre looked around. They were surrounded by dense bushes, from which huge, deciduous trees grew, covered almost entirely by spongy green moss. Between the spread-out crowns of the trees, here and there broke through a narrow ray of the setting sun, partially illuminating the dark bushes growing on the ground under their feet.

'Where are we...?' she asked with confusion and touched the back of her head, where she suddenly felt a dim pain.

'We crashed.' Ren replied shortly. Havre just then noticed that his face was covered in ash and strains of blood, so were his ripped clothes. And suddenly it all came back to her. The Jedi, the chase, the Gravity Well, and finally... the planet.

'So... the ship...?'

'Ripped to shreds.'

'And the troops?'

'Dead.'

Havre exhaled through clenched teeth. Ren closed his eyes and rested his head against the palm of his hand. They sat in silence and rested for a long moment.

Around them, among the trees and shrubs, numerous sounds of insects and birds reached Havre's ears, merging into a strange organic harmony. The humid and warm air around them was brushed from time to time by a colder breeze coming from above.

'We should, um...' Ren broke the silence and frowned, visibly trying to get his thoughts together. 'We should find the nearest village, or something... get a ship...'

'Yeah...' Havre slowly stood up, holding onto a rock, that she was sitting next to. She felt a stinging pain in her ribs and shoulders, as well as a severe headache, but otherwise, she was quite fine. At least none of her bones were broken. The armor was scratched and dent in some places, the fabric partially ripped. Definitely in a better condition than Ren's was. He was still sitting hunched down, eyes-closed and Havre felt a sudden grip of a strange emotion in her chest. They must have been in a good distance from the crash and he carried her all the way down here, while probably being injured himself. She opened her mouth to say something, but then quickly refrained herself. For some reason, she couldn't possibly imagine formulating any words of gratitude to Ren. It just seemed to be something she would regret later.