Letting go

The floor of the Shrine was cold against Havre's bare feet. Her shoes were wet from running through the dewy plains of Bogano and she placed them by the door before she entered the chamber.

She knew that Cal would scold her for ignoring her weak physical state like that, but she just couldn't stay back inside the base after what had happened between her and Kylo.

Havre couldn't handle the abundance of conflicting emotions by herself. She needed to be alone with the Force again.

She sat on the seat in the middle of the chamber and closed her eyes, resting her hands on her knees.

With a slow, calming exhale Havre was back in the white void of the Force.

Only then did she realize how long it had been since she meditated properly. And how she had missed it...

Havre didn't expect to see any visions and didn't even think one would come to her, as her future seemed to be painfully simple. She would lose Kylo and get caught up in the war again. And that meant she would have to use the Force as a weapon again. And as much as she would happily do that if it came to protect Alyss, Finn or Cal, the daily army service painted a dreadful image, far too similar to her past.

At last, Havre let go of those thoughts, surrendered to the warm presence of the Force and let it cleanse her mind, disconnecting all of her senses from that painful reality.

For a long moment, she sat in the white void and simply breathed rhythmically, but then slowly an image began to form before her eyes.

A gentle breeze touched her cheek and Havre quickly recognized the sounds of the waterfall and the landscape stretching before her. It was the same valley she had seen in the vision she had on the Seeing Stone. And just like that last time, it evoked a very specific feeling within her that she could now clearly name.

A very strong, yet calm, protective emotion.

Havre remembered she had felt it the first time, too, but just a glimpse of it, before she had turned around to see...

Havre snapped herself out of the vision and opened her eyes to see Cal standing behind her at the entrance of the chamber.

'What are you doing here?...' she gasped out as if she had been caught doing something she shouldn't have.

'I could ask you the same.' Cal said, with a joking tone, but his smile was anything but happy. Havre had a premonition of what he might have seen in the base and quickly jumped down to the ground, ready to explain everything, but Cal just said: 'I see something's troubling you.'
Havre couldn't deny it right to his face, so she just looked down, nervously.
'Come,' he said softly. 'There's something I've been meaning to show you.'

He turned around and after just a second of hesitation, Havre followed him through the passage in the wall grabbing her shoes and putting them on as they went.

They walked outside the Shrine, where Cal had his speeder parked. Havre swallowed hard; it seemed like he had been looking all over for her. She felt bad for stressing him out like that, and his calmness didn't give her much comfort. Either he had been angry with her or disappointed. Havre couldn't tell which was worse.

'Here,' he pulled her poncho out of the trunk of the speeder. 'You must be cold.'

'Thank you...' Havre muttered, pulling the jacket over her head. She had been freezing.

Sitting in the back of the speeder, Cal gave it a sharp throttle and kept the speed up, flying over the gaps in the ground with ease. The morning wind brushed their faces and Havre curled up under her poncho.