The Casino

'Shan's quarters are in the Casino skyline penthouses.' Havre explained in a low voice, as they walked back into the crowd, heading up to the center of the city. 'He has his private elevator going up to the floor, guarded from outside and inside. Shan had a lot of enemies in Canto Bight so it's not a courtesy. The elevator doesn't come up without face recognition, but neither of the downstairs guards is in the system.'
'So how do we get up there?' Alyss asked. Havre looked at her up and down. The girl was built like a soldier, but not up for climbing the Casino walls.
'Up the wall. There is no other way in as far as I know.' Havre said. 'I can get up there, but I'd have to do that without you.'
'No way.' Alyss protested. 'I won't let you go there alone.'
Havre sighed, but she had to agree it wouldn't be a good idea. It had to be a quick and quiet job. Preferably without her even having to use her sabers. If she'd gone there alone, she wouldn't be able to find that Obo guy and carry him out on her own without getting rid of all the others inside.
'People like that have maids and fresh food, do the maintenance also go through the elevator?'
Havre frowned, trying to strain her memories for any other details.
'Shan uses droids.' she said. 'There could be a direct delivery pipeline from the Casino's underground hangars.'
'That could work.' Alyss said. 'But how do we know which one goes up to his penthouse?'
'Good point...' Havre looked around them thoughtlessly. They were now heading the main road to the Casino that mounted above the whole city. Just like it did all those years ago, it reminded Havre of a lantern luring in cavemoths. As she scanned the people around her, she found their dazzling clothing similar to the insects' wings, which glowed only at night and burnt when they got too close to the light.
'Is there any way that we could get into the elevator and be let in without a face scan?' Alyss asked, correcting the blaster in her pocket as they were getting into a denser crowd.
'If we were with someone who Shan knows, then maybe.' Havre said slowly. 'But I don't think there is anyone who would just let us walk there with them.'
'Well, I guess we have to think about it when we get there.' Alyss said and Havre agreed with her. They spent the rest of the way in silence, both deep in their thoughts. The main road led the crowds out of the city onto a steep hill, which the more wealthy Casino visitors avoided in cabs or just simply by docking in their private sector. The road ended before a large golden bridge, lit by thousands of lanterns, that played a role of a not-so-subtle introduction to the lavish heart of Canto Bight - the Grand Casino. From there, the crowd scattered, entering different zones of the Casino. Havre and Alyss stopped by one of the walls behind a souvenir cart.
'We need to get into the top floor.' Havre said. 'If there is any information about your guy's whereabouts, it's going to be there. It's filled with ex-criminals and dealers.'
'You think that guy, er, Shan is going to be there?'
Havre shook her head.
'I doubt it, but his middlemen could be.'
To get to the top floor, Havre knew they would need to either be invited or have a membership card, but she figured a little mind-fogging would do the trick.
'Your names please?' A question came from a refined Twi'lek woman in a slick black dress, who guarded the entrance of the top floor. Her smile was perfectly acted out, but it didn't distract Havre from the taser on her hip.
'You don't need our names. You'll let us through.' she said confidently, swiping her hand in the air. The Twi'lek blinked in stupor and her smile became bleak for a second before she repeated:
'I don't need your names. I will let you through.'
'I'll never get used to that.' Alyss whispered to Havre, once they walked through the golden-glass door, opened by the Twi'lek.
The Grand Casino top floor was more than just luxurious. Every single thing inside, from toothpicks to furniture and gambling machines was made out of either gold, silver or other lavish material. It was completely unnecessary, of course, but even that was nothing in comparison to what some of the major guests on the floor had on them. Havre saw dresses bigger and puffier than her sleeping chambers and jewels brighter than lights of the thrusters. But all that was more helpful, as it clearly divided the guests to bored millionaire show-offs and businessmen on a mission. Havre discreetly pointed to a group of people over at the bar.
'Let's start there.' she said and Alyss nodded, quickly catching what the girl had in mind.
'Two Tonirays.' Havre said to the silver droid bartender and it immediately rolled over to the counter.
'I don't have any credits.' Alyss whispered.
'It's fine, all guests pay upfront.' Havre explained and took the glasses filled with vibrant blue wine. Havre leaned her shoulders on the bar and closed her eyes, falling into the white void of the Force, expanding her hearing and sight. Once focused, Havre scanned the room, switching from conversation to conversation, guest to guest, trying to catch anything regarding the resistance link or Gavi Shan. Alyss took a sip of the wine and observed the girl with a tense fascination, seeing her eyeballs move underneath her eyelids.
'Stop staring at me.' Havre muttered and Alyss quickly looked away and began observing the guests.
After just a moment, Havre suddenly opened her eyes and squeezed Alyss's arm.
'There.' she pointed to a roulette table across the room. 'They are talking about a gathering in Shan's place.'
'A gathering?' Alyss blinked. 'What gathering? A mafia clique?'
'No, a party.'
'Wait,' Alyss stopped Havre, as she wanted to head there straight away. 'How are we going to do this? Do we want to sneak in with the guests or...'
'I told you, there is no possible way to sneak in. We have to get ourselves invited.'
'Another mind trick?' Alyss asked. 'Wouldn't it work only for a moment?'
Havre hesitated. The girl was right. For this thing to work, they would have to be more persuasive. A simple confusion trick or even mind control at this point wouldn't be appropriate.
'I have an idea.' Alyss said and then proceeded to explain her plan. Havre was taken aback by the simple genius of her plan and agreed to it unreservedly. 'And last thing.' Alyss said with a sigh. 'We need to be charming. Like that Twi'lek hottie over at the entrance.' She patted Havre's shoulders. 'Loosen up, but walk with your back straight, smile just a little, like this.' she said and showed Havre the ideal face.
'Is this really necessary?' Havre asked, looking over at the slightly drunk gamblers over at the roulette table.
'Trust me.' Alyss said. 'There is nothing more unsettling for this type of men than an intimidating woman.'
And with those words, she headed towards the table, Havre behind her, watching her steps carefully. They joined the group without a word as if they were just curious about the results of the game. The men almost didn't notice them, so caught up in the small glass orb rolling over the golden wheel. When it finally landed on a bronze segment with a white number, the men cheered with excitement. Havre scanned their faces one by one, examining which person was the most influential in the group and without skipping a beat pointed to the obese red Twi'lek sitting at the top of the table. Alyss glanced at her and slowly made her way to the man, then, as if she was just fascinated by the game, leaned over to the table. The man noticed her and she smiled at him gently.
'Good game?' she asked, as if oblivious to the stacks of credits and chips before the guy. He nodded, patting his lekku with gallantry. The next few minutes passed when Alyss and Havre just pretended to be invested in the game, cheering for every other bet, but putting in more effort when the Twi'lek placed his chips. Havre noticed he was rather bored. Even if his bet was a loss, he gave away his credits as if they were worth nothing to him.
'May I try to place the bet?' Alyss asked the Twi'lek, once it was his move and sent the guy a pretty smile. Twi'lek looked at her and shrugged.
'Sure, give it a go.' he said. Havre smirked. The bait was set.
Alyss placed her bet and the croupier rolled the wheel. Havre moved her hand slightly and the ball landed on Alyss's bet.
'Ha! Well done!' the Twi'lek smiled at her and the other men at the table finally noticed their presence. As the next bets were set, Alyss took the seat next to the Twi'lek and started making small talk with him about the game. The man didn't seem to pay her much attention at first, but when he lost his second bet, he said:
'You seem to be lucky, I'll give you another go at the wheel.'
And once again, Alyss won. Havre was quite amused, seeing the girl act out how shocked she was that her numbers were winning. Someone ordered drinks and after just a couple of minutes, Alyss was placing all the bets for the Twi'lek. Havre had to let some of them go, to make it seem believable, but she ended up doubling the number of chips he had once she came in.
'Funny!' she said, with a sparkling laugh. 'I just might win the game on my own at this point!'
And so Alyss was a part of the game. Time passed and as the wheel was spinning, Twi'lek gradually began losing his money to the girl. Havre had to place the ball sometimes in his favour too, which only made him want to compete for more. At last, all his boredom wore off and he leaned over the table, closely looking at the chips mounting before Alyss. And then, right as she won just about ninety percent of his money, the Twi'lek shouted:
'Well I'll be damned!' his voice sounding with mixed excitement and frustration. 'Then why don't we place everything at stake! Let the lucky one win!'
Havre couldn't help but smile. It was all like clockwork.
'Why don't we,' Alyss smiled, charmingly, as if she didn't understand his proposal and pushed everything she had one up to this point to the centre of the table. And Havre had to let the Twi'lek win. Just so...
'Ah, good game, good game!' he laughed, now focusing only on Alyss and completely ignoring other men at the table, who lost everything as the time passed. Like Alyss said, all you needed to capture a man's attention was to be enough for him to compete with, but in the end, still let him win.
'It was, wasn't it.' Alyss leaned in closer to the Twi'lek. 'It got me so excited! I wish I could go blow off this steam somewhere... My sister and I were just heading to a party, but it got cancelled last minute... And so we came here.'
'Actually...'
'Childs play.' Alyss whispered as they were getting into the Twi'lek's repulsor craft that headed to the Casino's private areas. When they got off, they saw the infamous golden elevator leading onto the top level of the Casino building.
'The host is very strict with his guests, but I am sure he'll make an exception for me.' the Twi'lek said with a bragging tone, as they walked with him towards the elevator, each hanging on his arm. 'He owes me a hefty sum after all.'
A small group of other high-class guests awaited before the elevator and everyone greeted the Twi'lek with respect. Havre and Alyss were however completely overlooked like the other escorts in the crowd. After a couple of minutes, the elevator arrived and the door opened, greeting the guests in a gentle, artificial voice, before bringing them up to the top.
When they got out, Havre and Alyss were admitted as were the other escorts, but the security demanded a form in which the Twi'lek would state he takes full responsibility for their actions.
'Is this really necessary?' he said, impatiently, as they were the only ones kept in the hall.
'Unfortunately, sir, master Shan is very specific about his rules and you brought your plus-ones without prior notification...'
'Oh, all right, fine, bring me the form!' the Twi'lek growled. 'You girls won't do anything bad, will ya?' he asked, laughing obnoxiously.