The Oldest of Wounds

Havre flickered her eyelids slowly, blinded by a blue light hitting her face. She was lying on something soft, a white noise filled her ears.

'Drink this, and you can rest.' She heard Alyss's voice in the distance and Havre slowly held her head up, seeing she was back on the Mantis. An instant wave of relief brushed over her, though she couldn't remember when and how she got there, and who laid her on the orange sofa in the common space. When she looked around, through the cockpit windows she saw they were in hyperspace.

'Oh, stars, I'm so glad you're awake!' Alyss suddenly rose above her. She was dressed in her regular uniform, handling something that looked like bandages covered in blue liquid in her hands.  'I was seriously starting to think you went into a coma.'

'W-what happened...?' Havre muttered, carefully sitting up and pushing back the blanket she was covered with. She felt a sudden wave of pain and looked at her hands. She froze in a stupor, seeing that up from her fingers down to her wrists, strange light marks in shapes of veins or rather bolts of lightning covered her skin.

'Well, after you passed out, I managed to handle the rest of the droids,' Alyss uttered, seemingly not noticing what Havre had on her hands. 'And by handle I mean I shot one of the droids and luckily it crashed into the other, while Opo was somehow able to stop the shuttle before it drove into the Mantis... Though I don't really know what happened to you... Firstly I thought you got hit, and, you know... died, but you're unscathed... You must have hit your head on the floor and had a concussion.'

'Oh...' Havre sighed and carefully moved her hand through her hair, searching for any bumps or cracks, but there were none.

'Well,' Alyss scoffed in a less worrisome tone. 'I guess we won't make any business with mister Shan any time soon.'

'Why would you deal with such people anyway?' Havre muttered, hiding her hands under the blanket lying on her legs.

'We don't really have a choice, do we.' Alyss cocked her eyebrow. 'There are no heroes on the side of armoury manufacturers. It's still business after all. Well, it's a miracle Cal sent you on this mission. Opo would be long gone without you.'

Havre exhaled slowly.

'You really aren't efficient,' she said. 'I mean... Going to this extent to save just one person...'

'I guess it may seem strange from your point of view,' Alyss said, carefully folding the bandages she had in her hands. 'But that's how we survive, though small in numbers. We focus on quality. Opo is one of the best mediators we have, losing him would be like cutting off a whole branch of the resistance.'

Havre glanced at the girl, and she smiled softly.

'If that's the case, I...' Havre started, but then suddenly a small bundle that laid on the edge of the table behind Alyss caught her attention.

'Oh...' the girl's face fell and she slowly put the bandages down on the table. 'I'm really sorry...' she said and uncovered the material, showing Havre metal scraps left of her shattered lightsabers.

She felt her stomach sinking rapidly and she clenched her teeth. 'They must have been hit by that cannon blast...' Alyss said. Havre didn't say anything and took the broken metal pieces in her hands. They felt cold against her skin. Dead cold. 'I picked it all up, maybe Cal will be able to fix them...?' But both her and Havre knew that it was just false hope.

'It's fine.' Havre lied and gathered all the pieces into the cloth, wrapping and tying it up just to not look at it anymore.

'Are you in any pain? Your hands are...'