Nightmares

The concept of time was absent in the walls of his prison. He had no idea for how long his hands were locked in the torturous contraption. The pain, hunger, and exhaustion put him in a state in between dream and reality, the one where every subconscious thought transformed into almost tangible visions.

And again, the haunting sound of distorted breathing filled his ears. Kylo slowly opened his eyes and through his hazy vision stared at the tall, dark silhouette in the corner of the room.

'So weak...' said Darth Vader. His voice was so loud, as if he was standing right over Kylo's ear. 'Not strong enough to follow my way.'

With a blink of Kylo's eye, the image of his grandfather vanished, and instead of him, appeared another image.

'Our son was the one who killed Luke. There is no hope for him. This is why you had never loved him, because you always knew.' his mother said, embracing his father. 'That's why you left.'

'I know.' answered Han and looked at his son with at most disgusted expression. 'Our son is dead.'

Kylo's eyelids slowly fell over his tired eyes. The pain inside of him, caused not by the electrical shocks, prevailed. He couldn't take it anymore.

But even with his eyes closed, the voices didn't stop.

'His heart is poisoned...'

'He isn't human...'

'Is this what we fought for...?'

'Kylo Ren... The next Vader...'

'Ben Solo...'

'Ben!'

'Why would you spare his life if you knew...?'

'Ben! No!'

'Why didn't you stop it when you had the chance?'

'You're a murderer!'

'Now you will be who you are...'

'What is your name?'

He had heard those voices over and over in his ears over the years, but now he couldn't even remember who they belonged to. They must have meant something to him once, but now, molded into one discordance of a scream all fueled the same emotion. Helplessness? Anger? Pain? There was no variety now. Everything felt the same.